Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Arkansas hunters feeding the hungry??

Old 12-13-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Arkansas hunters feeding the hungry??

Does anybody know about this group. i read in the paper where gov huckabee donated a deer to them.

You see i have 2100 acres in my club and i have a bunch of folks that just won't take does. they say they don't need the meat so they don't shoot them. i have a EXPLODING doe population it is complety out of control. i have hundreds of does this year. i mean sitting on a stand and seeing 20 to 30 in a couple of hours . my good buck sightings are down . i contribute this to a large doe population so the mature bucks don't really roam.

I am looking for a way to encourage my hunters to take does without mandating it. i have been threatening to require the first deer be a doe or fine them.

I haven't really searched for this program and just thought maybe someone knew something about them.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:07 PM

Default RE: Arkansas hunters feeding the hungry??

You hit it on the head-too many does and the bucks don't have to work. In Arkansas you can sponsor two different types of harvest hunts I think-one is the youth mentor-hunt where an adult takes a youngster out to hunt-let the youngster shoot a doe and require the adult to shoot one and donate it. In addition, the food pantry in Little Rock will take a donation of venison.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Arkansas hunters feeding the hungry??

I found the program information on the Arkansas game and fish website. i called and talked to terry horton the director.
i was shocked at how much a deer can do for folks that just don't have what some of us have. if i remember correctly he said a 100 lbs of meat can feed like 250 people. the meat is given to groups that distrubute it but not to the individual.
It can be free or you may either help with cost of processing or donate some tax deductable dollars.

I think it's a good way to help out those less fortunate than us plus help manage the deer herd thus helping the deer.
i am going to push it to my folks.

and duck i feel like i have been taking kids all year. my son took over my honey hole stand and killed a nice 8 pt the first morning. i then took my cousins boy and he got his first buck a nice 7 pt. and then i videoed my friends daughter ,missing, a doe! all are 14 years old.
and you know i haven't even taken a deer yet. i know i better get started!