Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Permission to hunt in VA?

Old 11-09-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Permission to hunt in VA?

How much of a stickler are the Game wardens on having verbal permission to hunt on private land from the land owner in the stafford/Fredericksburg area?

I have lived in the NVA area for 3 years but I have always hunted at quantico but this year I want to hunt private land closer to my house. But I haven't been able to find some land owners who own decent size plots with out houses and I was just curious about the consequences of hunting them without verbal permission. The land is not posted.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Permission to hunt in VA?

Hunting on Private Property

It is unlawful to hunt on private property without the permission of the landowner.
Hunters must have permission of the landowner to track or retrieve wounded game on private property.
Posted Property:

It is unlawful to hunt on posted property without written permission of the landowner and is punishable by a fine of up to $2500 and/or 12 months in jail.

Landowners may post their property by any of the following methods:

Using a paint mark of aluminum color paint consisting of a vertical line at least two inches in width and at least eight inches in length, no less than three feet and not more than six feet from the ground or normal water surface and visible when approaching the property.
Signs which specifically prohibit hunting, fishing or trespassing on the property.
Property not posted:

It is unlawful to hunt any unposted property without permission of the landowner and is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

That's from VDGIF website. I used to live in Fauquier County years ago and the Game Wardens took their job very seriously. I wouldn't want to cross one. On a good note you live in an area where some of the folks are pretty decent and may give you permission. A lot of land is leased up there though and seems a deputy or city police officer is almost always part of the lease group. I'd get permission. Course if you see a monster and can't help yourself you could always plea to the judge that it was an attractive nuisance when you get caught and fined.
I've been in KY for years now and can't say I miss NVA to much.
Good Luck!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:01 PM

Non posted property you must have verbal permission...You'll get in the same trouble as hunting on posted property without written permission.
You can lose your weapon, vehicle, hunting rights, a fine, and possible jail time. Some of the Wardens can be "richards".
I hunt in the Fairfax/Loudon county area and see these plots all the time. I've seen a 10 and a 12 point for the last 3 weeks at 1:30 in the afternoon every day about 50 yards inside the woods on this small 2 acre plot. They stay right in there and never leave. I wish it was as easy as just going ahead and hunting it to make sure no car gets ruined one evening. But it isn't worth the risk.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:23 PM

How serious the game warden feels about it is irrelevant.This is NOT your property to hunt.Just because it is not posted does not mean come on in and hunt.If you cannot find the landowner and get the required permission then forget about hunting there until you do get permission.

It amazes me how many folks hunt someones land just because it is not posted.You obviously know it is private land from your statement so do some more research at the tax office or via some neighbors to contact the owner and if it does not pan out,forget it.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:51 PM

Many times owners of unposted land will give permission to hunt, so ask! It's not uncommon around here for land owners to take the matter into their own hands if they find someone on their property. I know of a few vehicles having tires slit and windsheilds broken.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:28 AM

That is less than what I would do to tresspassers. Hope you all realize I was kidding about the "Attractive Nuisance" approach. GET PERMISSION!!!

Hey Brian I see you hail from Orange...and you travel to Fairfax & Loudoun County to hunt? Guess I understand. Both counties have large numbers of Bucks. My grandfather lives just outside of Leesburg and there are definitely lots of good racks over there. Do you know Steve Oliver down in Oarnge? I hunted his land once years ago.
Any way good luck to everyone. This is probably the time of year I miss the Commonwealth the most and I sincerely wish you all well, maybe it'll snow for you! Supposed to be nice down here in KY for the opener Sat. 30 degrees I'll be out Sat and Sun. One of the benefits of Ky, Sun hunting.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:21 PM

your asking for it if you tresspass, why do it when there are so many other places to go. If you need somewhere to go just ask people i'm sure you'll find somewhere.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 PM

Hey Roost,
I live in Orange and work for Lockheed Martin around the Reston/Fairfax area. When I hunt up there it's after work. I don't head up there to hunt when I've got the land here. I don't know if I know Steve Oliver. I graduated in 96 and I only know people around my age that I went school with....Good luck there in KY!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:00 AM

I live in the Woodbridge area, but haven't been out this year yet, but I do know that you wouldn't want to step onto private property without anyon'es explicit permission. If you're caught, you'll have to prove who you know, and that's double the trouble, so don't go there. Game wardens in this state are no joke.

On another note, has anyone hunted the Phelps WMA yet? I had planned to bring my 30-06 down there for opening day deer season, but thought better of it and that I'd wait at least another week.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitewolf393
On another note, has anyone hunted the Phelps WMA yet?
Phelps WMA (like Chickahominy, Powhatan, Amelia, etc..etc....) gets extremely busy and packed, jammed full, on Saturdays - especially general firearms season! [:-] Trust me... it's best to hunt a WMA during the week when there is less pressure. I mean, I don't want to shoot off my mouth or cause trouble, but I have seen WMA's get so bad, the parking lot looks like a Virginia version of "Woodstock"!! [&:][:@] Lots and lots and lots and lots of people.... I got so discouraged one time, I just turned around and headed back home!

Butch A.

Quick Reply: Permission to hunt in VA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.