Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Old 11-13-2004, 11:57 AM

Default RE: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Dog hunters also take over the game lands in NC.They harrass and try to run other hunters off the land.THe last time I payed for a sportman license I know I payed to hunt game land also.They also run there dogs on archery only and safe land then stand just off the property.THe game wardens do nothing to stop this either in NC.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:16 AM
Spike

Petition to ban hunting....??? With every signature do you get a free membership to PETA?
Seriously, I'd hate to see any form of hunting abolished because of a few criminal morons. But, it does sound like dog hunters need to take some of their own to the wood shed.
heel
Old 11-14-2004, 06:35 PM

I agree that they need to come down on some road hunters, like anything else there always a few that ruin the fun. but should i think it still should be allowed.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM

[>:]I currently own a farm in essex county va. I purchased 125 acres so my family and friends could hunt in peace, and without the chance of being killed by a reckless hunter. After buying the property I soon found out that "gun season", meant "dog hunting", meant "road hunting for deer". They are one in the same, make no mistake about it. Every day during the 10 week long gun season, caravans of trucks line the roads, hunters standing in the road with blaze orange on, waiting to blast deer. All this does is boost the anti-hunting idiots to a new level of anti hunting frenzy. If virginia would pass a law that kept this idiots off the highway (at least 100 yds), a safe distance from innocent women and children in passenger vehicles, it probably wouldn't bother me so much. As it stands now, a dog hunter can legally stand in a public road with a loaded weapon, step one foot in a ditch and blast away!!!
Constantly I hear of my neighbors talking about the big buck who got a "ass full of buckshot", but got away. Lots of blood, but no deer. That's a sick way to hunt. I always see deer in my fields at dusk, limping, missing limbs, and barely alive. These guys could care less about posted land, who has permission, or about the game warden. In essex county there is not one damm game warden. The last 3 years I have called for a game warden to do something about the tresspassers, and all they say is were sooooo bussssy. Sorry, well try to do something about it. Not once in the five years of owning this farm have I even seen a game warden on the road in our county. Purely pathetic!!!

Next let's mention the dogs who stray around in the roadways for days, no food, no home, and no one but PETA to protect them. Why aren't these morons made to license their dogs and account for them after the season? I love to hunt rabbits with beagles, deer with anything but sticks and stones, but I be damm if I ever protect a group of people who break the law by the very nature of their "sport". We have to do something in virginia before someone gets killed, or PETA puts a video together of this sort of irresponsible road hunting.

Oh by the way, were the hell do I sign this petition? Please circulate it in the papers!! Alot of landowners and hunters will do the most to get these idiots of the main roads.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never hunted with dogs on purpose.I went to virginny to hunt on a friends place.He does not hunt. he said alot of dogs run around here all night so if you see them they belong to someone. I got up the next day got in to my spot before light.Then up on the dirt road I here hunters coming out of their homes after light. They load the dogs up and drive to a power line.They sit in the back of the truck and release the dogs. Eventually the dogs start barking and deer run across the power line.the hunters blast away like a war.This happened a couple times.They never hit anything. Some show though. then eventually hours later some deer came my way and I shot one . Later that day I seen the hunters riding down the road drinking beer out of the bed of the truck.No wonder they never hit anything. Then they jumped on me for shooting a deer their dog chased on to my friends property. When I shot that deer no dog was barking and never seen a dog.It was hours after the dogs were left out. For 2 days after that I seen their dogs running around,but the hunters were at work. What ever.It was different and I did not think I did anything wrong shooting a deer that ran on to private property I was hunting.Especially since the dogs were not even actually chasing it.By that time the hunters have left the powerline and went back to their house for more beer. And I'm sure these guys were NOT the average type deer dog hunters,so dont get on my case.Just telling a huntin story
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 AM

yeah i don't know why people want to drink and hunt. dog or no dogs its just bad ethics to drink while hunting. i know there alot of guys out that all they do while hunting is drink it wrong. YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO SHOOT THAT DEER. don't ever let some road hunter tell you otherwise. but good story i hope you had a good day hunting that day.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:25 PM

I don't dog hunt because frankly I don't understand how it is done or how one could be successful doing it. However, I've been quite successful sitting in a tree while people dog hunt. There are areas I hunt at the Kerr dam that I use dog hunters to my advantage. The local dog hunters pretty much keep to the same pattern and I've seen where the deer run to when they drop the dogs. Sit in these spots and you can't lose.

p.s. I've never witnessed a dog hunter acting in an unsafe manner in that area.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DanPotter
I don't dog hunt because frankly I don't understand how it is done or how one could be successful doing it.
I have seen the most nicest, most beautiful, well trained, dogs this morning in Powhatan WMA. An old man was going bird hunting (quail, woodcock, chukar, etc...) and had two spaniels and they obeyed his every command. I passed him on the main trail and chatted for a while. Petted his dogs too. Nice guy, seasoned hunter, with beautiful dogs. [8D]

Another guy had some beagles and was rabbit hunting in one of the big fields. His beagles were running all over the place but listened to a whistle that he blew. Interesting...

Powhatan WMA was crowded big-time this AM! Everybody was there![:'(] Cumberland State Forest was better, more quiet, and more spread out. I jumped a big doe but didn't shoot (not a doe day).

Butch A.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:02 PM

I got my chance to dog hunt with beagles saturday afternoon. Let me tell ya, this was some of the funnest hunting I've ever done. When the deer aren't moving there is no sense to sit in a treestand all day, doghunting is a good alternative.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 PM

As an avid dog hunter I strongly disagree with outlawing it anywhere. Where I live in SC we have the longest deer season in the country and when it comes in on Aug. 15 it is for everything from dogs to bows to muzzleloader, and everyone who has his preference also has their own place to go such as a club etc. Around here when you talk about a hunting club it is for the sole purpose of deer dogs, very few places are still hunt only clubs. I'd sure hate to see it go, but the way the anti's are, they put other hunters against each other. We ALL as hunters need to stick together and defend all types of the sport so I can take my grandkids and you can take yours. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.