Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia hunting with dogs!?!?

Old 11-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Virginia hunting with dogs!?!?

ORIGINAL: deerdogva
hey butch,
sorry you had a bad experience with the dog hunting. But did you get excited when you heard the dogs getting closer and closer? I didn't think you could shoot a doe this past saturday anyways.
True.... I just double checked. NEXT WEEK is a doe day. Good thing I didn't try to take a shot and score! Oops.... [:-]

But anyways, did I get excited when I heard dogs getting closer and closer? My honest opinion? Seriously? I'm sorry man, but I was getting a little annoyed. I was like, "Dogs? again?!!?" My quiet hunt with just me, the woods, and hopefully that big 8 pointer that I missed on, was once again ruined. It's cool that people go hunting with dogs and stuff. I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's just not my style, I guess...

Good luck too!

Butch A.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM

hey butch,
those dogs might have saved ya a ticket so sometimes there good for something

but ya i think it just something you have to enjoy, its better when your in an organized dog hunt, but that just my opinion. but good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 AM

Speaking of organized deerdogva I wanted to clue you in on the foxhunters I refered to. They are an organized hunt that hunt fox on horseback. They run foxhounds and any dogs that chase deer are pulled from the pack. These foxhunters kill 3 or 4 fox a season collectively. Members do not kill the fox rather an employee of the hunt does. To call one of these foxhunters "trashy" is inaccurate. Sounds like you know some other type of Foxhunters.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 PM

Hey roost,
I don't think you got what i was saying. I know the fox hunters that come through now come through on horse back usually don't kill many fox because its all about the chase. but what i'm saying is, is the guys that have deer dogs now, that are ruining it for other deer dogs people would be the problem. If you take away deer dogs, i'd say 80 percent of the guys that have deer dogs would switch over to fox dogs. So therefore you would have dogs still running through the woods during gun season , maybe before because fox hunting chase season is open year round. So instead of having fox dogs ran with by horse and real nice and organize you would have a some trashy fox dogs hunter. I think no matter what you do u will still have those a** whole that will try to ruin it. I mean every hunting groups has there bad crowd. i Know alot of still hunters that sit in on there back of there truck and shoot a dear 500 yards away. That NOT Hunting wether you running dogs or not. Did you get what i'm saying now? take away deer dogs = more fox dogs . so would you rather have fox dogs year round or deer dogs for two months? but i do wish the would outlaw using rifle while dog hunting and no road hunting.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:53 AM

I see. I agree with the shotgun only and I believe I like the idea about designated days for dogs.