South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

[Deleted]

Old 03-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2002, 06:22 PM

Default RE: Texas Deer Hunters

I hunt in Lavaca County. The idea is to protect the buck population and allow them to grow up so that there will be more and better bucks. I read recently that approx. 85% of the bucks killed in this 6 county area were 2 1/2 yrs. old or less. Most property in this area are small ranches and lots of guys have the mentallity of shooting the first deer or anything that walks thats got fur on it. I personally like the idea since we are covered up in does and would like to see their population decline. We have been on a management program thru the state for 3 yrs. now and I've seen a noticable difference in the number and quality of bucks. Theres a small piece of property next to ours where they shoot every deer they see. If people won't change their mentallity toward self imposed management then maybe the state has to do it for them.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Spike

There is only one draw back to this. You have to let that 6 year old four point keep breeding.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:56 PM

What brought this on was the mentality of hunting bucks only. If I want meat for the table a doe is my choice of meat. But I am the exception I was drilled from birth to let the does walk and shoot the buck. This proposal is not a good one in that the hunting community needs to be educated to hunt does instead of the buck like I was taught.
Those guys shooting the small bucks are shooting what they were taught to shoot if it was for the meat I know they would go for the does too.
The texas parks and wildlife department need to set up a hunter education program in that area and emphasize doe hunting.
Just my opinion.
Kenneth.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:26 PM

I have to agree with "Birdhunter1" we are taught to shoot bucks not does (and I do get a doe every year for meat) We all would like to have the patience to wait for the BIG buck but imagine you just took your only week off to hunt and its the last hour of the last day 'till next year. Yea I know you wouldn't shoot that 6pt because you believe in game management.....yea right.
I can't afford the "Trophy" leases out there where they buy or breed the big ones. And it's not always about braggin rights, I get a lot of pleasure out of getting that "small" one too.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:17 AM

Are these options as to how the actual reg would read? Maybe it's a Monday thing, but I can't make sense of it. Anyway, I would support a reg that would benefit the health of the herd. I hunt Coryell Co. so it wouldn't apply to me but we have started to let the smaller bucks walk too. It's pretty early to give results, but there are good deer and hopefully there will be better deer soon. As to the doe question, I prefer doe meat and have no problem shooting one. That's what's in the freezer now. I hope that any new regulation is helpful to the area's herd.