Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va bow hunting

Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Spike

Default Va bow hunting

Just wondering how the fellow VA folks' season is going? I haven't got any shots, but boy did I have a nice one by my stand on Saturday morning. Just a little too far out of range. Actually drew back on a lesser buck, but he left before getting a clean shot. All in all, 2 mornings hunting I saw over 20 deer.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default RE: Va bow hunting

2 mornings and 20 deer? Your living the good life. Havn't seen that many deer in all my years of hunting.....well ok maybe I've 25-30.
I got out for an hour this morning before work. Gotta take what you can get. Saw some tree rats.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:57 AM
TDH

I have not got to hunt but would love to hear some stories. From what I could see from the news reports the temp are wonderful for hunting.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:41 PM

I've seen more deer in these first two weeks of hunting than I did all last year. Each time I hunt in Fairfax I see at least 10-15 deer. I had a stampede of deer come down a hill to me and when they turned to walk parallel from me I knew it was my time to shoot. I misjudged the distance and missed just below the deer. Well they all looked right at me and watched me as I reached for another arrow. They all trotted around to behind me and started coming back towards me. I took another shot at 20 yards and SMACK/CRACCKKKK. I hit a limb just a few feet in front of me that I wasn't paying attention to. Third time was a charm...although I was reluctant at first to shoot with my luck on the day. The deer just didn't seem to care that I was there. They just sat and watched. I think its been years since they've been hunted...if ever... and I know people ride mountain bikes through these woods all the time. It was kinda too easy but I don't really mind. In Orange county I've seen alot of deer where I hunt near two small ponds and have taken a doe from there too. I let a nice 8 point with a small body walk for a nice sized doe. Oh yeah..my first doe I took went almost 50 pounds...if lucky. I was just looking for some nice stew meat. I'm going to just bowhunt all year if the deer keep to their same schedules and keep gathering around trying to tease me.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:15 PM

Hi got a decent doe opening day vances cove. my buddy got a spike the following weekend
this weekend passed on another nice doe would of took her but didn't offer a quartering shot. nice size buck ran up the ridge to fast to count tines about 60 yds. At noon looked down to see a bobcat stalking down the ridge watched him slay a squirrel and go back up the ridge. felt like marty stoffer in our wild America. finally decent public land saw no other hunters. game warden said nice buck in the area and also been seeing an increased amount of bears. would love to get a trophy bear with bow. hope you have a good season . I already have just enjoying nature
[quote]ORIGINAL: brn2bow
Old 10-18-2004, 07:43 PM

anyone near lee county?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in Wise County.In Pound to be exact.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM

I live in richlands, not to far away.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Spike

I have squirrel hunted Vance's Cove 1 time. I have a buddy who killed a nice bear up there last year with his bow. He scouted all summer and claims he saw more bear than deer. Not that the deer pop is down, just saw alot of bears. I thought about bowhunting it, but would not consider it for any gun season. TOO MUCH TRAFFIC!!! I guess I'm spoiled. I have hunted on various private farms for the past 15 years or so, and the deer population is high & the hunter population is low. It makes for safe, enjoyable hunting.

Oh yeah, when I was at Vance's Cove, we went off to the left side (Strasburg side) and still hunted a ways. After awhile, we decided to take a break, when we heard this strange noise. It got louder, and closer, out of no where 3 mountain bikers come flying up a road, scared the bejeebes out of me!!!! lol

forgot to mention that I got a shot yesterday. I've come to the realization that anyone can hit a deer's vitals at 30 yds, but only a true marksman can hit a branch 1/2" diameter at 30 yds. End result I got the branch, and the deer got to go on about his business.[]
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first day of hunting will be this Sat. I can not wait. A buddy and his brother have been hunting every weekend and things are picking up and I think I am timing things just right.

Quick Reply: Va bow hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.