Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Missed my chance at a Virginia elk!

Old 10-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Missed my chance at a Virginia elk!

There are gas well within sight of my front door. I hunted this evening less than a half mile from there and seen two bears and heard a cow elk about dark. I am headed out about 3o in the morning for the same ridge!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:32 PM

So its open season in VA? I'm guessing they are unwanted in VA if this is true. Wonder why?Disease? Could there be an Appalachin Mountain Elk Foundation in the future? I've been in KY for 12 years now but grew up in Fauquier CO. VA. Hunting is great in both places. If anyone has any info about the Elk issue in Va please let me know.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:52 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Go to the virginian Game and inland fisheries website and there is info on the Elk. Basicly they worry about disease getting in. It sure would be nice to hunt them though.

David
Old 10-29-2004, 04:40 AM

As a guy who just moved to Virginia from Oregon I was pretty depressed that I was not going to be chasing the wapiti around the woods anytime soon. Seeing this post brings tears to my eyes, for now I know that I may have a chance to get an Elk here in Virginia someday. Elk hunting by far is the biggest rush you can get. Especially when they are in the rut, and you are going after them with a bow. I have had my fair share of big bulls screaming all around me, and one little thing went wrong to screw the chance of a lifetime up. This is what makes Elk hunting the challenge it is. They are incredibly hard to get, and just because Primos makes it look easy it is not. Just remember that if you do get one down, the deer drag probably won't work (lol)
Old 10-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

My deer drag is a Polaris 500 HO 4x4! LOL! I just can't get it to the top of that mountain. I guess if I get one I will see who my REAL buddys are!