Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma Muzzleloader

Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oklahoma Muzzleloader

Well I hope someone harvested a good deer!!!!!!!!! I have been eaten up by mesquitos, sweltered in this this dang bad humidity, I have grown webbs between my toes because of all the rain and now I have to go back to work tomorrow. First time in years I didn't harvest a deer during ML season. I sure hope this cool weather we are supposed to get this week turns these bucks on. Let me know if anyone was successful.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Same story here rattlem, didn't even see a deer one this weekend. I have no idea what is going on. Every one I have talked says the same thing. I think it could be the moon, but who knows. This cold snap might help things out a little, you can bet I will be in my bow stand in between these two seasons, seems to be the best time every year.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:48 PM

Had a great ML hunt on Saturday in Pawnee County. But Missed the buck!!!! Shot at a buck at 50 yards, shot over him and the buck being confused backed up and came directly at my treestand and almost ran into the ladder of the stand. It stopped as I stood still and it was definitely confused.....it didn't know which way to go since it didn't know what direction the shot came from. It finally ran off after it either winded me or the smell of the black powder. I later learned that the sight of the gun was off. I shot at a tree to unload the gun at about 30 yards and I missed the tree! Even with all of that I consider it a great hunt. What an adrenaline rush! Maybe next year the gun will be sighted in. By the way the weather Saturday was beautiful![&:]
Old 11-01-2004, 06:27 PM

Oh yeah, they have been bringing them in over at the Cherokee Rock Ranch.

See for yourself:

Cherokee Rock Ranch Hunting Club
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 AM

I hunted 4 full days and never saw a buck. I saw several doe and popped one about 100 yards away on the last day of the season. Still a lot of fun no matter how many antlers they have. I hunt in western OK so I was sitting atop a hill watching some draws and canyons, glassing. I spotted about 8 does 400-500 yards away. The most fun was closing the gap between us and picking which one to shoot without being spotted. I crawled behind plum thickets and cut them off at a clearing and set up behind a big cedar (only good thing I will ever say about a cedar). Double lunged her and after the smoke cleared there was little to no searching. Can't wait until rifle, interested to see when rut starts in Caddo county. I saw lots of sign but no bucks. GL all throughout the year.