Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma Muzzleloader

Old 10-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oklahoma Muzzleloader

Natural, take a few deep cleanzing breaths, put it out of your mind and it will all be OK. Really I 've been hunting for 42 years and I still get excited. Good luck and enjoy
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Yeah, I am getting ready. I bought "The Can" and some doe urine. I will drag the urine behind me when going to my hunting spot and use the can to hopefully call some deer in. I am nervous about how accurate my rifle is. I had it sighted in perfectly the other day and than went and shot it offhand in more of a real hunting situation and the shots were all over the place. I was also shooting a different bullet that was expensive but I was not incredibly impressed with. I shot a 245 grain hp Powerbelt. Easy to load but in my opinion not worth the money.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Hello all...I found this site... I am looking for some advice on what to do and not to do in this early season. This is my first time to go with a muzzle loader.
I am hunting South of Bouse Junct. (new spot). I have had a timed corn feeder out for about 2 months now. There is not alot of farmland around just pasture and canyons. I set on my feeder this a.m. and did not see anything. I set there until noon, then took a break until about 2 and set there the rest of the eve and saw nothing.

This is my first year to use a feeder. Am I doing something wrong? I figured I would see something. I'm thinking that there is just too much for the deer to eat and they aren't vey interested in my feeder.

Tried using a grunt call... No luck.

What call would work the best?

Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

milesel your hunting some good area. I lived in Woodward for a number of years. Hunted the Freedom, Quinlan, Mooreland area, country a lot what your hunting. Your right about the deer having plenty to eat and corn want be their first chose. The bucks in those areas, IMO, prefer to bed and spend their days in grassy draws and plum thickets. Rattling worked well for me out there. Play the wind and work the draws. The canyon bottoms should have a lot of winter grass by now primary feed in that area. Oh ya if you have some heavy cedar draws check them out late and early for deer coming to and leaving their bedding areas, if the wind is blowing heavy and I know the wind blows out there. Good Luck!!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Had a real slow weekend, saw a couple of little bucks and does but that is about it. Nothing really to talk about. The sign in my area has really taken off though, within the last few days there has been several new rubs and scrapes all within 50 yards of a stand that I bow hunt. So, they may be starting to get into the swing of things. Everyone keep us posted on how things are going in your area.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Same here miller. Saw some does but bucks were no shows. Had some road hunters bust the deer off their travel route into my property kinda blew my saturday morning hunt. Hot and no movement sunday. Glassed a nice big this morning working a ridge, he didn't seem interested in much of anything. The usual creek bottom scrapes are hard to find. Looks like they are just messing around. I think a good cold snap might really pick things up, sure hoping.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:58 PM

Thanks alot rattlem for the advice. I went to Alva this a.m. and hunted with a friend. West and North of Alva. I saw some does but yet to see a buck. He called a 10 pt. buck the day before but was unable to get a shot off. I am still hanging in there for the Big Buck to come my way. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

milesel I used to work west of Alva. I used to see a lot of good bucks in that area. That area used to be Oklahomas little hidden deer gold mine. It's close enough to the Kansas line to have genetics spread both ways. I rifle hunt Kansas every year. If you were north west of Alva I hunt Kansas probably 15 to 20 miles north of where you were.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I watched a good looking 8 point yesterday evening. He was only a 2 1/2 year old, but had great potential. He was a perfect 8 about as wide as is ears and about 5 inch tines and not much mass. He was by himself in my plot for about 45 mins. The day before that saw a six and a forked. Other than that not much moving. My little cousin shot her first big buck last night. It was with a doe and grandpa saw the same deer chasing a doe the day before. That is the first I have heard of any bucks chasing. I thought it was a little early, but I guess it wasn't for them. Anyway, just updating you on what has been going on around here, everyone keep us posted and good luck!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:41 PM

I hunt in NE Oklahoma between Drumright & Oilton. Nothing really going down. I did see a little 4 point chase some does, but I think he was playing more then truly chasing them! Supposed to cool down tonight so I hope they will be moving in the morning tomorrow. Got my doe, now I have to look for that right buck!

Quick Reply: Oklahoma Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.