Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Any MT.Lion's in Arkansas?

Old 07-22-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Any MT.Lion's in Arkansas?

Last year there was several of you guy's getting pics and some info on Mt.Lions that where taken in Arkansas. I am wondering if there is any here? I know they where ruled out years ago,but seems they might be coming back?

If you have any info or tree cam pics post your info.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any MT.Lion's in Arkansas?

Hello Troy R.

I have allways heard about them being in Arkansas. But growing up in the woods all of my life I have never seen any proof of it. I am not saying that they are not there. Just that I have not ever seen one of them back home. I have killed plenty of Bobcat and Coon , and Deer and Turkey , and bear, and a WHOLE LOT OF BEER. But never even seen a Mtn. Lion.

hunter 338
Old 07-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Spike

i live in the northern part of la. just about 30 miles from ark. line, and i could have sworn that i saw one while i was riding the leavy road on the ouachita river. i would make a wager. that i saw a cat but it happened so fast
Old 07-25-2004, 08:27 AM

Last year someone else started a topic like this and posted a pic. It was a good topic, I guess those guys are not on here this year?

I will try to search for it again.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy R,
I hunt in East Texas, and a couple of years ago I saw my first Mt. Lion! I saw it while bow hunting, it was only 25 yards away, so I'm positive as to what I saw! Unfortunately, it saw me before I could draw my bow!
As I said, that was East Texas, but I have some good friends in Greenwood, so I'm familiar with your area! With all the game you have there, I would not doubt that you have Mountain Lions there! Many people call them "panthers," but they are Mt. Lions or cougars!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

My cousin and I got a pic of a mountian lion (much to our surprise!) with our trail camera last April. The pic was taken in Conway county (central Arkansas) near the Center Ridge area. I showed it to a friend who used to be with the Game and Fish commission, who told a wildlife biologist about it. The biologist invited me to lunch along with a professor from UALR. They looked at the whole roll of pictures and confirmed immediately that it was a mt. lion. What they could not tell was whether or not it was a native lion or an escapee from a private owner (there are people out there who keep mt. lions as pets, believe it or not). Apparently, a couple of years ago, a "pet" lion was reported as escaped about 20 miles from the general area where this photo was taken. The AGFC and UALR professor wanted to visit our land and look for additional sign, but we said no. We have enough trouble with poachers on our place without the local boys hearing rumors about a mt. lion in the area. When they realized we were not going to tell them exactly where the property is, we stopped hearing from them. Fine with us. We're satisfied knowing we have (or had) a mt. lion. We have hunted this same land for 10 seasons and we have never seen or heard any sign of a mt. lion before or since. But I dont check my film alone and unarmed anymore! You can see the original pic, plus a couple of enlargements I made from it, at this link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/scrider1
Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 AM

Impressive photos. Nice kitty!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Troy R ~

This cougar was photographed by a camera triggered by heat sensor by Don Scott fairly near Little Rock:

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette article about Cougar Photographed in Arkansas 08/2003

KlueLass <>*~_~*<>
cougarinfo.com
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 PM
New Sheriff

A guy that was hunting with us this past weekend swears he saw one. This guy does not deer hunt, only hunts turkeys with his bow so he is a very serious woodsman. I have known him for several years now and have never once had a reason to doubt him. I believe he saw one.

He turkey hunts from a pop-up blind and had it cross a fresh logging road in front of him at 35 yds. When I asked him why he didn't shoot it he said that he froze up and was scared to let the cat know he was there. He said he watched it for about 5 seconds.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:43 AM

I hunt just outside of Texarkana in East Ogden were the Red and Little River come together. The farmer that leases the land told us last year he saw one a couple of times. Just 2 days ago myself and my hunting buddy saw it crossing a 4 wheeler trail about 200 yards in front of us. It appeared to be limping. We gased the 4 wheeler to try and get up to it but by the time we got there it a disapeared into some thick stuff.

Quick Reply: Any MT.Lion's in Arkansas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.