Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Finding Deer Antlers

Old 02-17-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Finding Deer Antlers

Hey in the past year or so I have been interested in finding deer antlers in the off season. I do not have a ton of time to go out and search the woods. This is where ya'll come in. I was wondering if anyone knows about any "Antler Traps" that I can make and put out. I am trying to make something that when the deer trys to eat some corn or something, his antlers get caught in wire and knocked off. However I have heard that wire can injure the deer. If anyone knows any ideas would yo please post it. I will be checking this board a lot to see if anyone has answered.
Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-15-2002, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Finding Deer Antlers

Jack,
I have to say that I really dont reccomend "trapping", which as you said, CAN injure deer. The way that I have and will this year, is to concentrate on well known trails and feeding areas. I also like to look near barb wire fences as such can knock antlers off while deer attempt to go under them. I also HIGHLY reccomend following fire breaks and woods roads as deer travel more freely now that they do not recieve no hunting pressure. Varmits will destroy sheds if they are lying in the woods any lenght of time. You say that u don't have much time, another thing I do is to case the areas I mentioned by riding a four-wheeler. It is quicker and safer as snakes are begginning to find their ways out of holes. A four-wheeler REALLY takes all the work out of it and allows you to cover more area. I feel obligated to tell you that I am only 19 years old, so you may not want to follow my advice, but the tips I gave have worked for me. Finding sheds are a GREAT way to get an early jump on next years BUCK! Well, hope I have been helpful. Good luck, and good hunting!

Rather B. Hunting