Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting Post-Rut In Va

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Post-Rut In Va

We hunt in Culpeper, Va and it's now post-rut. What are the best methods to use when hunting post-rut. Should on concentrate on fields, thick stuff, game trails etc?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'd focus on food sources and bedding. I tend to focus on trails/corridors leading to food sources(afternoon) and also leading to bedding (morning). Also try to find which food source they're hitting.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Spike

I was talking to my boss today (he's a hardcore hunter), and he was saying right now it's the second part of the rut, does that weren't originally bred, are in heat and he say's he's still seeing bucks chasing does on his property. Anyone else in VA seeing the same sort of thing?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DavidD.
I was talking to my boss today (he's a hardcore hunter), and he was saying right now it's the second part of the rut, does that weren't originally bred, are in heat and he say's he's still seeing bucks chasing does on his property. Anyone else in VA seeing the same sort of thing?
You do see some chasing going on this time of year but not like you do during the initial rut. I agree with VA5326......figure where and what they are feeding on and you will find the deer.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Spike

We're going out on Saturday which is the last day of the season in our county. Still figuring out the best place to hunt. I sorta want to hit the stand in the field so I can see more area, but do you think it would be better to sit somewhere deeper in the woods. I wanna make tomorrow count!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DavidD.
We're going out on Saturday which is the last day of the season in our county. Still figuring out the best place to hunt. I sorta want to hit the stand in the field so I can see more area, but do you think it would be better to sit somewhere deeper in the woods. I wanna make tomorrow count!
If you can, try the woods tomorrow morning, try to get in an hour before first light to ensure everything is settled before dawn. I say you can't go wrong with hitting the field in the afternoon. If I was hunting a field with food, I'd definitely be hunting somewhere I could see into the woods a ways. A weary buck might hang up in a staging area and not come out until after dark. This has just been my experience in the past and I am not hunting tomorrow so I am living vicariously through you and others. Good luck!

VA