Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Looking For a Local Mentor

Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Spike

Default Looking For a Local Mentor

Ok... so I'm new to the site and totally new to hunting. I'm a total newb but I really want to get into the hunting sport. Why? For many reasons...

I'd like to become more independent when it comes to resources and I'd like to learn more about nature. I'm not a dooms-day nut job type guy but I'd like to have the confidence in knowing that I could take care of myself and my family if I ever needed to live off of the land. I feel like we (General society) have gotten away from some basic fundamentals over the last 100 years and everything comes from a box or the microwave now. I'd also like to be able to pass the knowledge down to my son who is 12. I got to thinking a few months ago that even if I managed to harvest an animal... I wouldn't have the first clue what to do with it. That's not considering that I don't even know where to look for deer, feral hogs, ducks or turkey. I'd have a general idea but I don't have the first idea about masking sent or when to hunt an animal... Like I said, I'm a total newb.

I guess you could look at it as I'm a clean slate and an eager student. I do own a compound bow and a shotgun that I've used for target practice and sporting clays but I wouldn't claim to be proficient with either one.

I don't really have anything to offer besides my attention and time but I'd be happy to figure out a way to pay back the favor if given the opportunity.

So basically... I don't know anything about the hunting sport and any points in the right direction would be much appreciated. If you're local to the Raleigh, NC area and are willing to spend some time talking over a cup of coffee or demonstrating techniques... I'm all ears.

I guess that I should clarify and say that I can handle myself and I'm not two left feet. I'm used to being outside, I fish a lot (inshore and offshore) so it's not like I'm completely useless... haha, just uneducated in all things hunting related.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long-winded post and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

-Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

welcome,
lots of ways to go about it,
first, have you and/or your son taken hunter ed courses?
if not good way to start, having both of you take the courses together, be surprised how much you learn just from the courses,
in the mean time, get out there and learn the land and animals,
dont need to hunt to be out scouting,
getting out there is the first step, even if you and your son just got out with a camera,
take it in small steps,
safety first,
even if your not hunting just out hiking,
for safety sake wear orange, be aware of seasons, and try to be courtious of other hunters in the field,
dont want to walk by a hunter thats been calling in a turkey all morning and spook his game,

even if your just going out for a short hike, treat it like an adventure for the kid and gear up with safety equipment,
learn to hunt small game first,
turkey/rabbits/squirrels/coons/etc....
gutting and cleaning small game will give you idea what needs to be done on larger game, just on a larger scale,

also will you be bow hunting? gun hunting?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply.

We have not taken a hunter's ed class yet but now I realize that should be our first course of action. I'll search for them in a few and get it on our schedule.

Scoping out an area would be perfect. I realize it's not always about harvesting something and don't want to go kill something for the sake of killing it so photography would be a great way to get some experience and gain some knowledge. Photography is one of my hobbies and my son has shown some interest in it so that will be a great transition. I don't quite know where to start though. We're in a somewhat rural part of NC but I don't know who to hook up with or where to go to even spot some animals in the wild. We would definitely try to be mindful of others hunting and would not want to spook their game. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Small game is fine for us to start... I've been watching a lot of the Outdoor channel and seeing how they're taking down turkey and ducks. Doesn't have to be a huge buck right out of the gate or anything. Just want to gain the knowledge on how to be ethical and the best way to go about doing things from tracking, to harvesting, to cleaning and cooking what we harvest. Like I noticed that they don't take down a buck unless it's in it's fourth year or something to that effect. As an outsider, I don't understand why that is or why you shouldn't take down certain animals. They all look like 'deer' to an outsider so I want to get a better understanding as to why and how... the impact it has on game management, etc. I know it's a lot to absorb over time and little steps are important. I don't anticipate understanding it all in one day... just making observations based on what I've watched on TV or heard people say.

Anyways... I got side tracked. I'd like to learn to hunt with both my bow and a firearm. I only own a 20 gauge right now and I'd like to purchase a rifle at some point but I don't know which one to buy or for what reason... Just trying to gain a bunch of knowledge before I start making purchases I'll regret.

Appreciate the info and any future advise.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

if you try to look at everything, yes theres alot to it,
but doesnt have to be all complicated,
matter of just getting out there,
you do have 1 advantage many here didnt have when starting
thats online info!!!
as to where to go?
i am not familiar with NC, but sure lots of good lands around,
for that can start with state parks dept/dnr/wildlife agency,
many states list state lands online by county, with category of land, state park/state forest/preserve/Wildlife management unit, etc....
many people live near quality lands and dont even realize it,
here is an example of what a state game land map offered online in PA looks like
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...theast&sgl=057

not all states have such detailed maps online, but gives you an idea of whats online,

as for what to harvest?
be wary of getting info from hunting shows, good for entertainment, but its a show,
people hunt for different reasons,
you dont hear much of people hunting does because it doesnt make for good TV or good stories
but most fill their freezer with does you dont hear about , and then talk about that 1 buck they been pursuing,
also many hunters can take game on their first day of the season,
if they fill their tags right away, not much for them to do rest of season,
so they pass on say does or young bucks and pursue a more challenging trophy buck,
what and why you harvest will be up to you, cant make that decision for you,
nothing wrong with taking does, heck thats what most people hunt, just dont hear about it.
worry about that down the road when you get to it,
just get out there, show that kid the outdoors and have fun

there are also lots of survival skills that kids love to learn that come with the outdoors
learning edible plants,
firestarting,
map reading/
using a compass properly, etc....
Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Spike

All GREAT information. Again, much appreciated.

I figured TV is just that... TV but it's helped me learn what I don't know and be able to ask dumb questions. haha

Originally Posted by Terasec
there are also lots of survival skills that kids love to learn that come with the outdoors
learning edible plants,
firestarting,
map reading/
using a compass properly, etc....
That is one of my priorities... I really want to get connected with how people used to live before all that we have today. I don't want to go back to living in caves or anything and hell, if it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't have found this site or learned what I have learned thus far. I just think some traditions are a dying art. All the way down to managing a home garden and canning your own food.

Like I said, I'm not all freaked out by the future or convinced that the sky is falling but I'm in my late thirties, I live somewhat in the country and I know of one person in all of my wife and my connections that actually knows how to can their own vegetables. If something like what happened in Japan happened here, we'd all be screwed. I want piece of mind knowing that I can be independent and I want to make sure my son is raised in the same manner.

Thanks again!