Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Relocating to Sarasota area

Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Smile Relocating to Sarasota area

Hey guys...I will be relocating to the Sarasota area in about 3 weeks. I love to hunt and have been looking around this site and gaining a lot of valuable information. Thank you! I am wondering if there is a WMA closer to Sarasota than Green Swamp. I am interested in mostly deer hunting, but have always wanted to hog hunt too. I would also be interested in a lease. I would also like to meet up with some of you once I get settled in and learn all I can about hunting in Florida. I have lived in Illinois, Colorado, and Alabama and I know that the basics are the same, but the little details are what is important. Any information that y'all can give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and God Bless!!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

heck we will be neigbors dam near, oddly enough I will be living frozen over indiana for key largo fl, I am in the same boat as you, no idea where to hunt and where to start looking. If you find a lease and want a buddy let me know I would be up for splitting the lease with you. SO far my only to places I have looked at are ocala nat forest, and the everglades. I spent a month in ocala nat forest and there was alot of deer.

Let me know if you want to meet up and do some hunting next year.

Ohh do you scuba dive, big sport in florida, the main reason we are heading down.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Bigtim...I have never been scuba diving. It is definately on my list of things to do!! I think spear fishing would be a lot of fun...kinda like hunting. I would love to try and get together at some point. I think key largo is a long way from Sarasota though. I will keep an eye out for any leases and keep you posted!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

This should help you out. There are a Bunch of WMA's around the Sarasota area. http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_WMABrochs.htm#sw

This has Each WMA in your region. Rules and regs for each one. and Maps and their locations. The WMA'a just a little farther north are not going to produce any better than the one near you area.

A Hunt lease south of the panhandle is going to be hard to find. Its common knowledge that Florida does not have a big Deer population. and the Deer we do have are not that big. Most of the People I know that have money to belong to leases, Travel to Georgia or Farther North to Deer Hunt.

Last edited by daleintampa; 12-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Spike

Daleintampa...Thanks for the link and info! It is overwhelming to try and sift through these forums and other websites for information. I love to get the advice because it gives me a place to start.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good, if you really want to try diving, you can get with a shop and do a discover scuba course, their like 25 to 50 bucks and done in a pool. NEver been spear fishing, going to try this summer though.

check this out

IT is the season dates for florida, they seem to give us alot of time
'
HOGS YEAR ROUND
Originally Posted by Zookie
Bigtim...I have never been scuba diving. It is definately on my list of things to do!! I think spear fishing would be a lot of fun...kinda like hunting. I would love to try and get together at some point. I think key largo is a long way from Sarasota though. I will keep an eye out for any leases and keep you posted!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Sarasota is LOADED with big deer & hogs. I hunt Palmer Ranch, which is private, but if there's animals there, they are every where around there as well. Check out the local WMA's , as already suggested, I'm sure you'll find some great hunting. I'll be in Chaz tomorrow morning - about 100 miles north of you. Not nearly as good as Sarasota, but way better than a day at work.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Spike

Richwrench...thanks for the info. I sure hope to find a place to hunt those big deer and hogs that you mentioned!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Palmer Ranch

Originally Posted by richwrench
Sarasota is LOADED with big deer & hogs. I hunt Palmer Ranch, which is private, but if there's animals there, they are every where around there as well. Check out the local WMA's , as already suggested, I'm sure you'll find some great hunting. I'll be in Chaz tomorrow morning - about 100 miles north of you. Not nearly as good as Sarasota, but way better than a day at work.
I grew up in Sarasota and used to and still can hunt the Longino ranch, Not far from Palmers Ranch. Interesting.

Most of the people I knew went to Ocala or the Glades unless they were lucky enough to hunt on private ranches. With some good luck maybe you can find something in Bradenton or Sarasota. I will email some family still there and see what they say about clubs. Good luck