Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va Turkey Opener

Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Va Turkey Opener

Just seeing if anyone had any success on opening day. I was out in Shenendoah County and we had a bird gobble throughout the morning but couldn't close the deal. Sounded like he was with hens all morning as the gobbles would be getting closer then we would hear a couple of clucks then they were walking away. Still think it was a good morning because of the weather, we did get rained on but the birds kept us out there. We heard gobbles at 6:30, 7:30, 9:30, and 11:30. We did end up seeing 4 hens total and also caught a trespasser who claims he got lost from the NF. Thats a story in itself. We were happy to have birds respond with the rain, wind, and clouds and will try it again in the same spot next weekend. Then it is off to Kansas for Rio's.

Also does anyone have a good friction call/striker combo that works well in the rain? I haven't found any combonation yet that works when the surface gets wet. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Va Turkey Opener

didnt go the opening morning but did go yesterday and killed a nice sized gobbler. i would send picks but dont no how
Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Spike

Default RE: Va Turkey Opener

Opening day was great. I had Toms around me all morning. I was only able to get one to come to me but couldn't get him where I needed him to get a good shot. I went yesterday and only saw one hen.