Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public Land How far....

Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Public Land How far....

I have been looking at a few places and have been a little surprise at how deep (far) I have found signs of other hunters. These are a few I have looked at.
C.f Phelps WMA
Pettigrew WMA
And two Military Base- H.P Hill and Quantico

So how far will you go?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land How far....

Bush, I too have seen that as well. I think a lot of the time people enter into the woods at entrance spots we do not even know exists. So when we walk in a mile deep and think it is far, they are only walking in 400-500 yards from some other entrance point. I try to look at the big picture to determine which areas are the most remote. Most people are not willing to walk in 3/4th of a mile or more. I would say 4 out of 5 other hunters are not willing to hike in that far. I know one of my best spots this year is no less than 3/4th of a mile in from any entrance point and nearly 1 mile from the begining of a major trail. Just some thoughts.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Brett. have you had any time to do any scouting yet? I am going back out today to get my cameras I had set up. I had seen signs of new rubs that weren't in that area the last time I went out. I also made it to that creek (swamp)area we talked about. I hoping to get some pictures of it from up on the ridge today. If I get anything good off the cameras I post them.See ya
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drove up the Winchester area today to look at some property. Doesn't look like it is gonna work out. That swamp area of yours looks good. I really hope you take some deer from that area next season.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bushanic

I have been looking at a few places and have been a little surprise at how deep (far) I have found signs of other hunters. These are a few I have looked at.
C.f Phelps WMA
Pettigrew WMA
And two Military Base- H.P Hill and Quantico

So how far will you go?
...very deep into the GWNF, and as far away from metro Richmond (and the nearby WMA's) as I can get! [&:]

Amelia WMA, Powhatan WMA, Chickahominy WMA ??? Not too bad during bow season during the middle of the week. Weekends will get a little busy during bow season as well. But general firearm season? HELL NO! It gets so bad, it's almost like 900,000 hunters per square mile! Saturdays on a WMA during general firearm season can be hazardous to your health!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

ButchA, you are so right about gun season on WMA area's. I use bow all season long. Most of the private land I get on is because I use bow only. When gun season starts I'm on private land on in a archery only area.