Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Ok Ar guys, go get one in the mornin!!

Old 04-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ok Ar guys, go get one in the mornin!!

If it ain' t pourin down rain
Old 04-06-2003, 10:58 PM

Default RE: Ok Ar guys, go get one in the mornin!!

Well saturday morning it wasnt raining . i got one at 6:20 am. i heard only one gobbling about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. i humped it over there and set up. he shut!

I called a little for about 15 minutes real light and a few times used two different calls. and short call sessions.
two gobblers came running down a logging road toward me. at about 20 yards they stopped cause i think they saw me raise my shotgun. i think they thought the hens were farther down the road (if turkeys can think)
well the lead one got a face full of lead as soon the one following moved.
8 3/4 " beard , 3/4 spurs and about 18 lbs.

This morning not a gobble. called a jake in but he will live for another hunt. it started raining and i came home!

Not a bad weekend.

Old 04-07-2003, 12:42 PM
New Sheriff

Got one Sat morning, raining Sunday morning so I slept in.

Got to my spot before daylight and as soon as the first birds started chirping the turkeys started hammering. I got set up on what I thought were 3 on the roost, waited awhile then gave a fly down. A hen flew down almost in my lap and started yelping and cutting, she was pissed. The toms started gobbling with every sound she made. She left out over the ridge after about 3 minutes of giving me hell. The toms gobbled for the next 30 minutes and I didn' t make a sound. When I heard them fly down I gave a few soft yelps and purrs and that hen came hauling butt back over the ridge looking for me, yelping and cutting hard. After a few minutes she went down the hill with the toms and I was worried it was over. I cut at her several times and she came back, toms right behind her, 5 of em. I shot the lead one. I was back at my 4 wheeler by 6:30. I worked another one shortly afterwards but it didn' t pan out.

All in all I heard 8 gobblers, saw 7 turkeys (1 hen and 6 toms), found about 20 morels, and caught a gazillion bass out of my pond.........ahhh, does it get any better?

Old 04-07-2003, 09:45 PM

Well you dawgs. Gratz on the gobblers. I havent even been yet. I had to work Saturday and well you know about Sunday, then I have to go to Haz-Mat class all week. My father in law and I are going to Hope this weekend and we are going to go out sat morn and give it a shot. Wish us luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:22 PM

ARBowHntr don' t worry the best is yet to come. they just didnt gobble in ouachita county . i want to take my son he will have a ball running around trying to set up on them . and how a bird can make you feel that way whewwww.
i am heading out again saturday i hope!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

soarkrebel, I beat ya by 20 minutes I got mine at 6:00
19 lbs, 9 1/2" beard, 5/8" spurs

soark, got any pictures to go with that big boy?
mr4pt, congrats on your turk also.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:31 PM

I took some but havent gotten them developed. i' m still old tech. i need to get me a website to post stuff on.

I' m gonna try and hunt some around my new home . there are a lot of birds around lake ouachita in the national forest. it' s just tough hunting cause it isnt flat at all. and there isnt really many people hunting.
If i don' t head back to ouachita county this weekend i may roam these hills. you ever hunted around garland county?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Soark, I don' t think I' ve hunted garland county, but I' ve hunted the albert pike area, and the Fourche mountain area up close to russeville. all in the ouchita mts.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:43 PM

Soarkrebel,

Try going out hwy 7 around lake Winona. I think it is hwy 7 anyway. If you have one of those Ar topo maps that you can get at Wally World, it is on there. I think it is mostly IP land and national forest. I havent been there in the past year or so, but it used to be good huntin' . Ill try to get you the page number, hehe.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:17 AM

ARBowhntr i may ease out there. i havent had time to go hunting and if it stays as hot as it was today i may not. i wanted to be on the water today.

around crystal springs area they are not making much noise from what i have been told . my nieghbor has gone every morning and he says he hears nothing. well one gobble maybe.
you ever been around paron? i know weyerhaser butchered the forests in the area years ago. i really have no respect for the large timber butcher companys .

i may ease up 7 north though .

Quick Reply: Ok Ar guys, go get one in the mornin!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.