Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Thus why they call it "hunting"

Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Thus why they call it "hunting"

As some of you know last year was my first year to deer hunt west Kentucky after moving here from Alabama in 2006 ... I posted a hunting diary last year to share my hunting experience which resulted in a nice 7pt buck on the next to last day of the rifle season (Ky's rifle season is only 16 days here in the western part of the sate) .... as good as last year was with me seeing up to 30 deer per day including several nice bucksin the winter wheat field I was hunting it has been THAT BAD this year .... last Saturday morning (opening weekend) I sat the same field (this year a bean field) and saw 5 deer that morning not bad ...then I hunted Sat. afternoon ...all day Sun. ...Mon. afternoon ...all day Tuesday and did not see a single deer NOTHING ...I decided to change my tactics and moved a blind into a bottle neck of woods close to a creek ...I hunted it Saturday morning and saw 2 young bucks and two doe's ....came back that evening and saw nothing ...hunted this morning (very windy) saw nothing ...then changed and hunted an area that had a lot of fresh sign this afternoon and saw nothing ... well I suppose it cant always be good and thus why they call it "hunting" .... I will grind it out until the season ends on the 23rd but it has been tuff ...the positive thing about this past week is that I was in the woods ...getting to watchbeautiful sunrises and sunsets and that in itself isworth the price of admission!

dd
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thus why they call it "hunting"

I feel your frustration! I took workoff last week expecting it to be a good time to catch the big boys out looking for some ladies! Last Monday and TuesdayI saw a lot ofactivity with small bucks chasing and trailing doe. Then it was like someone flipped theswitch and turned it off with hardly a glimpse of a deer the rest of the week. I have from November 26th through December 6th off, so hopefully I can have better luck then.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I feel the pain...

Ive been on some good deer this year, but it seems that one thing after another has caused me to fall short. This season has to be one of the most frustrating seasons ive had in memory. Ive had monsters come in during bow only to take another trail and walk just out of range. This saturday i had to get down early (1030) just as i started seeing bucks cruising by me on the hunt for doe's.I went to a pointless meeting, where i was used as a number to make sure they had the right amount of people, ment nothing for me to be there. When i got back to the woods, wouldnt you know it a big shooter 8 point was under my stand with a hot doe, Couldnt get a shot with my bow, but he could care less that i was there, he was just following her. I could go on and on about my close calls but my inability to close the deal this year. its frustrating!!! but thats hunting.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

ive had the same problem in years past its nothing for me to see 10 to 12 deer a day and this year total ive seen 5 deer and everyone ive talked to has had the same problem. i hunt ballard county