Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Sunday hunting ban

Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default VA Sunday hunting ban

I am sure this has been adressed on here before, but I am wondering if someone can inform meof the current situation on this. Has lifting the ban been considered by the VA gov. What can I do to help it be lifted. I am starting a new job were I will not be able to hunt as much as I like and hunting on Sunday would be great.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: VA Sunday hunting ban

It comes up infront of the board almost everytime they meet. So many people want Sunday hunting. But there are so many questions that go along with it, like increase kill rate. Alot of the old school people are against it. I would love to see it happen, but i just dont see it happening any time soon. Va is too old school.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 PM

I used to be on the fence about Sunday hunting, though I personally support the notion of hunting on Sunday. I never took an official position though.

This year that will change. Out of respect for my fellow hunters, I'll actively support lifting the ban on Sunday hunting. This godawful horrible pathetic excuse for a "Hunting with Hounds Study" has taught me a great deal:

1) Hunters need to stick together in public, even if we don't agree with each other in private.

2) There are way too many deer, and most of us only get one day a week in which to hunt them. It's a recipe for lots of fights over who gets to have the best day in the woods. (see 1, above)

3) It would really pi** off the animal rights nuts if we got to hunt on Sunday. And it's past time those folks got sent home with their tail between their legs.

I'd ask that if a person opposes Sunday hunting, then to please, out of respect for fellow hunters, remain silent this session. Not every hunter is a Christian (or even religious), and working out a way for hunters to follow their sport on Sunday will help ease tensions that we may have among us.

Plus, I'd really like to see the look on Wayne Pacelle's face. (Pres of HSUS). Maybe I'll send him some venison.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Sunday hunting ban has been beat to death for years and years. Each year it does get more notice and more support, which is good. However, each time a house bill or senate bill goes up against the general assembly, it dies. [:@]

Steps to get VA to hunt on Sunday

- Get the VA Farm Bureau to agree (ain't gonna happen. Wilmer Stoneman is vehemently, adamantly, opposed to Sunday hunting. )

- Get all hunters to agree. (ain't gonna happen. There are still a bunch of "old school" hunters who don't want Sunday hunting. )

- Get the private land owners and/or farmers to agree. (again, this ain't gonna happen, because of they might not want hunters on their land on Sunday. Also, because of their support to the VAFB. )

- Somehow, someway, get a strong organization formed with lots and lots of $$$$. (I wish this would happen, but, we all know, hunters already pay enough fees, dues, etc... and our wallets are stretched a little thin these days. [&o])

I have been a staunch supporter of Sunday hunting. I got my name in the papers, I talked to numerous delegates, senators, media personnel, etc... and all I got was the notoriety. What needs to really happen (take NY State for example....) is to get the auto insurance companies involved. NY did that back in the mid 90's. Deer were constantly getting creamed on the highways up in NY. The auto insurance companies met with the NY Farm Bureau and NY's senate and house of delegates, and whoever, and presented facts and figures of all the deer/auto collisions. NY's DEC (like Virginia's VDGIF) also got involved by saying that Sunday hunting will have no adverse affect on wildlife populations - in other words, the woods and fields will not turn into a war zone.* So, anyway, long story short... NY started out very slowly in 1996. They opened Sunday hunting on a trial basis, only a few Sundays on private land. Then in the next year or so, they opened it a little more,then thenext year, and then thenext year, etc... and FINALLY, I believe it was 2000 or 2001, NY State opened up Sunday hunting in full, everywhere, all across the board.

* Honestly... what I think happend... I think some bigwig, some big high profile congressman or senator, or someone like that, either got wrecked/hurt in a deer/auto accident. Or perhaps their high school kid, or maybe their college age kid got wrecked/hurt coming home from college for Thanksgiving in a deer/auto accident. BOOM! Sh** hit the fan big time up in NY and they had to do something instead of denying hunters the opportunity to hunt on Sunday.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Your "*" statement is probably accurate. I know that one of the arguments against Sunday hunting is a religious one; that it is the Sabbath. I respect those who object on religious grounds.

But I could also look at this from another perspective - that not all people observe a Sunday Sabbath. Many observe a Saturday Sabbath.

The argument could be made that a ban on hunting on Sunday unfairly penalizes those whose religion observes a different day of rest. Since government cannot pass laws that favor one religion over another, using that argument to institute Sunday hunting would not require lobbyist support. It would simply be government providing equal access to hunting for all citizens, regardless of religious affiliation.

I doubt any lobbyist is going to tell the GA that Jewish hunters don't belong in the woods. In the workplace, there are policies to ensure employees of different faiths are permitted to observe religious holidays without having to use vacation days or sick leave.

There are only two days of the week that are considered "free time" in the US. Saturday and Sunday. Both are days of rest for two very large religious groups in this country. In order for both to have equal access to activities sanctioned by government, both days must be made available to all citizens.

It's just a thought. My understanding is that the major reason for a Sunday ban is faith based. Without intending any disrespect to the religious Christians among us, it is unacceptable for government to put the interests of one faith ahead of another.

Perhaps it's a weak argument in the court of public opinion, as it is a minority religion in the US. On the other hand, the equal protection clause was intended to be applied in cases like this.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. If people object on religious grounds, simply don't hunt that day. I can't help but think that it really would ease tensions among hunters. As it stands now, we all fight for our one day in the woods. Only ONE day. It is a recipe for constant strife and jockeying for position.

Thanksgiving, while not a religious holiday, is still a day for family. In my family, it is traditional to go hunting on Thanksgiving, then come home to a large dinner. I think that came about because the women wanted the youngsters and men out of their way. For the young people, who may only see their country cousins one day out of the year, that would be their introduction to hunting.

In any event, it is possible to balance family time with time in the woods. I'm very sorry your efforts were not appreciated, but hope they yield results in the future. I pledge my support and will do my part to persuade others to do the same.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the very least, persons on private property should be able to hunt on Sunday.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

At the very least, persons on private property should be able to hunt on Sunday.
They can. On a private game preserve. All the animals shot on one of those are a different kind of dead than if Joe deer hunter shot one on his land.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

How hard is it to have your private lease/owned land deemed as a hunting preserve? A few clubs/landowners might be able to get together and make up their own "hunting preserve". I don't know your laws, but there might be a chance.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I guess one day it will get passed, but not this year. I just feel sorry for the hard working men and women who only have one day (Saturday)to take their kids hunting on the weekends. That's what gets me. Working class peoplecan't afford to take days off during the week let alone take their kids out of school during the week. Virginia is old school, but we need to adjust to the times. Sabbath Sunday can no longer be the excuse for not hunting on Sundays when malls and liquor stores are open on Sundays. More people watch football on Sundays rather than going to church. Just my observations.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Classic example of separation of church and state. The only reason that the ACLU has not been all over it is because it involves gun owners.

Quick Reply: VA Sunday hunting ban

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.