Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Anyone hunt near Harrisonburg VA?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Anyone hunt near Harrisonburg VA?

This will be my first year hunting, other than 2 days last season in WV. I will be hunting bow, muzzleloader , and rifle season for squirrel, deer, and turkey. The Lee Ranger district is the closest public hunting area. Anyone have any info about this area?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hunt near Harrisonburg VA?

You going to school at JMU??

the area is loaded with some good deer and Turkeys. The trick to hunting public land there is to get off the roads and trails. I used to hunt out off 33 in the national forest. Lots of good bucks, and bears!!! You got to find areas that people wont go to get a good deer. Topo maps help a lot. Be willing to do some foot work.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM

I graduated from JMU about 2 years ago, but my fiancé is still going there. What area off of 33 did you hunt? East near Massanutten or west near west Virginia? Do you know anything about the Massanutten Hunting Club? I saw their shooting range when I went squirrel hunting in the Lee Ranger district.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted west by the hot springs, there is a dam up there a ways and there is some good deer activity. Also, there is a little offroad trail right before a creek on 33 when you enter the forest, you will see and old beaten up barn on the left and the trail starts on the right.Dont know anything about the club. I know if you get on forest property by the park you shouldnt be disappointed(ton of deer on the Park) I have friends that have hunted the west and shoot big bucks and bears, i personally have seen some monsters up there, and i had a bear stand me down one evening while bow hunting.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I know the off road trail you are talking about, but what park are you referring to?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

the national Park on the east side of harrisonburg. Shennandoah Nat'L park. Not sure if there is forest land over there but i know they did a whitetail study there a few years back on blue ridge parkway, apperently there are some absolutey tremendous deer there. i would say if you can find National forest near the National Park, you might have a good chance at abig buck either in the early season or the rut when they run around.