Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

ORIGINAL: bryant1

Lanse- Your right, very few dogs ever get caught in traps. It is more of a 'scare tactic' than anything. If they are running a deer 'tight' then they are stepping very closely to where the deer stepped. Chances are it will get the deer before the dog....Although I am just repeating the thought of a friend of mine who has trapping experience. No one traps around here....
Dogs on a trail actively running may not. Returning ones or ones that don't run too well will go to scent. Of course if a dog don't run you can always call Jimmy Hackett SAC member to come shoot it for you. He's pretty good at that.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Considering the amount of tresspass, poaching, and property damage/theft by still hunters as well, lack of accomodation and flexibility seems to be the rule.

That is a valid point. I suppose that because dog hunting is more widely visable and audible that most folks point a finger at them. Usually I'd suspect when a wrong is done by a still hunter nobody can really say if it was a "still hunter" or a neighbor or some kids or what....

Usually its dog drivers, looking for their dogs on others property who are seen there.... and when something turns up missing, guilty or just in the wrong place at the wrong time, its certainly easy to assume it was a dog driver. Rather unfair really, but I see your point Lanse.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Considering the amount of tresspass, poaching, and property damage/theft by still hunters as well, lack of accomodation and flexibility seems to be the rule.
Trespassing is against the law for still hunters in VA, just should be the same for dog hunters.

Do you have any problems with hunters running deer with hounds in OH?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I dont think that running with dogs isdoneat all inOhio but am not sure because I dont hunt here.But it is done in some parts of Louisiana where my family lives. There, you often see dog hunters leasing very large tracts of timber company land for hunting with dogs. In those instance, it is actually the still hunters who cause many of the problems by tresspassing and poaching on the dog hunting leases. They also cause trouble by damaging trees when putting in stands, or abandoning them in place,which does not make thetimber companies happy. No one hunting style has the market cornered on bad apples or causing inconvenience to others. It just seems that way until you take a good look in the mirror.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Your right as far as I know, they don't run deer with hounds in OH.

If a still hunter is tresspassing in LA, is it against the law?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Did Jimmy shoot the dog or not? That is the question!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rick,

Technically yes.In the past, some people would still hunt out of boats and shoot game on posted land. They would then leave their gun in the boat and go onto the land to retrieve the game. The understanding was that even if they got caught, it would be a lesserform oftresspass and would only merit a slap on the wrist.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Lanse, in VA you could shoot a deer, have it runto another persons property and without their permission you couldn't retrieve it without breaking the law, but you can go anywhere, anytime if you are looking for your hounds.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:41 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I would like something done to ban all dog hunting except for birds or give land owners a clear legal right to terminate the dogs if they cross property lines.

Dog hunting in my county is illegal for deer, however I do know of bear dog owners who will deliberately release their dogs during the late muzzleloader deer season, which is also bear season, close to private property. The resulting bear chase screws up a good hunt.

Last year Iwas VERY tempted to put a 50 cal slug into a dog but didn't.I'm totally fed up with it and will probablyshoot any dogs that I see this year.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM

I'm afraid thatalot of good people are going to get scratched up over this one. Some want to shoot dogs, some want to trap dogs,,, all of this could end up getting someone killed. I keep my dogs on my property or on property that I lease. I don't know what I'd do if someone shot my dog during hunting season. I just hope Idon't have a loaded gun when it happens.

Quick Reply: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.