Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

[Deleted]

Old 03-25-2003, 08:40 AM

Default RE: bowhunting clubs NC or lease

smokepoledoug...I just joined a club in the area you are talking about. We are in Coakley, about 10 miles outside of Princeville.
click...I live just east of Salisbury in Granite Quarry and it takes me around 3 hrs and 15min to get to the hunt camp in Edgecombe.

There are tons of deer in that area and good numbers of turkey. If I go sit on a peanut or bean field in the evening and don' t see anything, it is VERY VERY rare. The buck to doe ratio is out of whack like everywhere else in the state, but we have introduced a two buck limit to members this year. Big bucks are not common, but they are not rare either. You just have to hunt harder to find them. Most guys are content with sitting on a field day in and day out and don' t care to chase the big boys. Just a little info about what I know in that area.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:52 PM

NCBowhunter 1969
I hunted on the Ben Mayo property who owns Mayo Knitting in Tarboro. Ben grows cotton, corn, peanuts, and soybeans. The soil down there is great, but the deer don' t have time to mature and grow because of hunting pressure, UNCC Grad. You will see lots of 12" to 14" bucks and will notice a small rut as there are so many does as you have already found out. Deer are ran with dogs on some areas and still hunt only on others, depending on the land owners. I really mis going down there on a yearly trip. It is just too far with my work schedule to join a club. The land is so flat that the wind seems to blow most of the time, but it does not seem to bother the deer movement. You can sit on a cut or fire lane and see deer at all hours of the day. There are lots of thick areas in this region that deer go to during bedding times and they cross these lanes all day long.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:29 PM

I hunt in both Halifax and Northampton Counties, i know what ya mean by land being hard to come by. I have let one club i' m in go but have been looking for a good QDM club for a couple of years and it' s darn near impossibile!

If anyone knows of one here in these two Counties please let me know...........