Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

here is the type of hunter killing our hunting dogs

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: here is the type of hunter killing our hunting dogs

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Easy guys, he's a hunter non the less. It could have been a true mistake, so don't be so quick to judge. People have shot people in the woods a number of times, and for some reason they don't get this type of coverage. Happened in VA this year with a .50 black powder.
I'm not claiming that he isn't a hunter, just not much of one. Part of beinghunter is knowing what your target is before you shoot -- and having the discipline to pass on a shot if you don't know for sure what your target is or where on the game animal you are aiming... or for that matter passing on the shot if you don't have a high confidence level in your ability to hit your target in the vicinity of where you are aiming.

Maybe I have too high of a standard.

Maybe that's why I don't understand the people who fire 7 or 8 shots at a running deer (how can you possible know what's behind your intended target if you are trying to lead a running deer - firing as fast as you can level your gun and pull the trigger?) frequently leaving it wounded and running into the next county. These folks I especially don't understandsince the only practice they probably get firing at a moving target is when a deer runs by them. Are these folks hunters? Yes, but they probably only fulfill about 10% of what makes a hunter. Of course, that's just my opinion. (This isn't a rant on who is a more pure hunter - but more of following some of the basic rules for hunting, obeying game laws, obeying fair chase as it is defined by your state's game laws, shooting in an ethical manner -- ex. not taking a "Texas brain shot", etc.)

I understand that accidents happen. But there's a difference between a trueaccident and an accident that is caused by careless or reckless behavior.

I'm sure that as a vet he could tell the difference between a hog and a dog, and I gather from the article that he wouldn't have shot the dog if he knew. Obviously he didn't clearly identify his target/game - he probably saw movement in the brush, identified black or brown fur, and shot. I didn't necessarily see this as a case of someone intentionally shooting a hunting dog -- but of a case of careless and reckless behavior which disregards the basic rules of hunting and handling firearms.

Hunters are reminded to follow safe handling and shooting rules for their own safety and others.

[ul][*]
Treat every firearm as if it were loaded; [*]Control the direction of your muzzle, only pointing at what you intend to shoot; and [*]Before shooting, clearly identify your game and what is beyond. (emphasis added)[/ul]
Bottom line -- if you are not certain of your target, don't shoot. If that means you don't get a deer this season, so be it. It doesn't make you less of a hunter to get skunked, but it sure does if you kill something that you didn't intend to kill.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM

Who knows if he is telling the truth or not, but accidents do happen. 10 years ago, my wife's uncle was taking a close friend and his nephew hunting in the mountains of Virginia. The adults took the left/right tracks, and sent the 16 year old up the middle of the mountain to sit for deer. They left at dark, just before sunlight, and told the young man not to load until daylight and not to shoot unless certain of his target. He had no father, but his uncle had been his "Dad", taking him to safe hunter courses and taking him out hunting for a number of years. No one could have expected what happened next.

Don, (my wifes uncle) said 30 minutes after they left the truck, just several hundred yards up the mountain he heard a shot and the boy saying "I shot a big one!!", over and over. Soon the cries of joy turned to screaming and crying, and by thetime Don got there, he found they young boy bent over his uncle, crying uncontrolably.Half of his uncles head was blown completely off, and all Don could do was place his hunting jacket over his friend, and lead the boy to town and the police station. Don hasn't hunted in the last 10 years, every since that day. He used to travel all over the country after elk, deer, bear, anything challanging to hunt. Now he can't bear to see a gun or think of hunting at all. This is a true story. I would not make this up. I'm certain you can find it somewhere in a police accident report. I would never ask Don too much about what happened, I heard most of it from his wife. He can't speak of it himself without great pain.

We all have to be careful with our kids, ourselves, and the other guy in the woods.Don't take chances hunting in a roadway, or too close to each other without thurough caution. Watchyoungsters closely and never think you have preached safety too much!!I hope we can all learn to be a little more forgiving and generous. I think some of us, including myself, are too quick to judge, too stubborn to negotiate sometimes, and unfortunately too busy to share every moment caring for our kids and friends.

Live and let live a little. Preach safety to your kids, and practice what you preach. Leadership works best through example. Our kids (and us too), can get excited and that's a dangerous situation with any weapon, any where.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Fork Horn

She should have had the dog on a leash...the owner is liable for where it goes. This won't go anywhere. Charging him with reckless discharge of a firearm seems more appropriate since she was supposedly mere feet away from the dog. That's probably what they'remost pissed about anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

The criminal charges will just be the start, he won't have a penny to his name if she takes him to civil court.