Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance

Old 01-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance

That's cool... I was just wondering, that's all. No harm meant or false accusations towards deer doggers. But, from what I understand, some of them ol' mountain boys don't take kindly to dogs running deer west of the Blue Ridge - if you know what I mean... [&:]

Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Deer dog hunting sucks. I hope they end it. Mostly criminals use deer dogs. Hokieman why are you going to waste your time fighting for the criminal deer dog hunters.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

i live in western va. where dog hunting is illegal. bear hunters ruin the national forest hunting for deer by running bear all thru deer season and keeping the deer so spooked up that a still hunter can't find one.

bear hunting with dogs is the biggest joke i've ever seen,its how so called bear hunters kill most of our bear .a bear does not stand a chance with a pack of dogs on him. NO SPORT AT ALL TO SHOOTING HIM OUT OF A TREE.
when i hunt eastern va. i try to stay away from the deer dogs,from what i see about dog hunters running deer its just a way for them to set in there trucks and wait for the deer to get run to them,its lazy mans deer hunting,no scouting,no treestands,no walking and then you kill one he's so tough you can't chew it. to me it shows a total disrespect for the animal. BAN ALL BIG GAME DOG HUNTING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let the real hunters reclaim all the hunting clubs in va.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

...and then you kill one he's so tough you can't chew it.
You know, you make a great point... Let's turn this around and talk about venison. Preparing it, marinating it, eating it at dinner with friends, etc...

Deer dog club venison
My brother-in-law is a LEO and doesn't have time to hunt, but knows a bunch of hunters. In fact, one of the guys he knows is in a deer dog club in Gloucester, VA. The guy gave my brother-in-law a few nice venison steaks to grill up. My sister & brother-in-law invited my wife and I over to help marinate the steaks and have dinner with them.
* Venison was marinated like how I always do it (wife's recipe).
* Evenly cook on grill and brush a mix of lipton onion soup on venison.
* Venison tasted "gamey" even with marinating and coating of onion soup.
* Venison was tough to chew even though it appeared juicy.

Still hunter venison
This was my small buck from last season that I dropped with one shot out in the GWNF at my deer camp. Li'l buck had no idea what hit him. Boom - flop, right in the left shoulder. DOA - right there on the spot. We invited my sister & brother-in-law over for dinner to eat my vension steaks.
* Venison had no "gamey" taste at all.
* Venison was so juicy and tender, you could cut it with a butter knife!

Christmas dinner -- further proof
Same scenario as above with "still hunter" venison.
We invited my sister & brother-in-law over and our older nextdoor neighbors over for a nice Christmas dinner. We usedthe last of the venison -a 12 pound venison ham (I cut up/de-boned the other ham a long time ago). My wife helped me marinate it and the two of us used her great big slow cooker/roaster. We slow cooked the big 12 pound ham all day long in the same recipe, but then with a few hours to go, my wife addedpotatos, onions, carrots, etc.. It was delicious!!!
* 12 pound venison roast slow cooked with same recipe.
* Venison just about fell off the bone - it was so tender.
* Nextdoor neighbors wife (nice lady, don't get me wrong but at times, she can get, um, "fussy" - if you know what I mean) could not believe how good the venison tasted and how tender it was.

Long story short.... You have to ask yourself: Do you want to eat venison that is pumped full of adrenaline and all gamey tasting and tough like shoe leather. Or do you want to eat venison that is very tender with little to no gamey taste. You know, where the deer was just chillin' out in the woods, not being run to death my deer dogs, and then BOOM - the lights went out.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:38 PM

Most of you dog hunting bashers are so full of **** it is hilarious. You all seem to believe your **** also which is even more funny. The last post about venison isbeyond reason, only dogs cause a release of adrenaline huh? I am of the firm belief that none of you hunt because anyone who has spent any time in the woods would know better than the crap you all are spewing.

How do you all see all these dog hunters, deer herders and fat lazy truck hunters if you are far away in the woods in your favorite climber, etc.?

Normally I would avoid being confrontational with fellow hunters but I am so sure none of you are hunters it just doesn't matter. Maybe I'll see you at Gamestop buying buckhunter or whatever game you play.

Spence

Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whoa, easy now... take it easy.... [&:]

I am a deer hunter, with both bow and rifle. I choose not to hunt where the deer doggers are, because of so many ruined hunts. I drive out to the other side of the Blue Ridge out to the GWNF to get away from the dogs.

I just prefer the peace and quiet of the woods, where the deer and I are on "one on one" terms, you know? I don't need dogs to run the deer. I scout areas, read topo maps, look at rub lines and scrapes, and study the wind. Others like to use dogs, and that's cool... whatever... It just ain't my thing...

Use a beagle to hunt rabbits? Cool.
Use a black lab to hunt waterfowl? Cool.
Use a spaniel to hunt upland birds? Cool.
Use a hound to chase deer? Say what? Okay, um, whatever floats your boat. It doesn't interest me though.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the topic at hand, as it says "Sportsmen and Sportswomen from across Virginia have banded together to form the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance." We should come together on this one. I know there are some bad apples everywhere, but the majority of dog hunters I know, actually every dog hunter I know, even though it's not many,has good ethics.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ButchA

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

...and then you kill one he's so tough you can't chew it.
You know, you make a great point... Let's turn this around and talk about venison. Preparing it, marinating it, eating it at dinner with friends, etc...

Deer dog club venison
My brother-in-law is a LEO and doesn't have time to hunt, but knows a bunch of hunters. In fact, one of the guys he knows is in a deer dog club in Gloucester, VA. The guy gave my brother-in-law a few nice venison steaks to grill up. My sister & brother-in-law invited my wife and I over to help marinate the steaks and have dinner with them.
* Venison tasted "gamey" even with marinating and coating of onion soup.
* Venison was tough to chew even though it appeared juicy.

Still hunter venison
This was my small buck from last season that I dropped with one shot out in the GWNF at my deer camp. Li'l buck had no idea what hit him. Boom - flop, right in the left shoulder. DOA - right there on the spot. We invited my sister & brother-in-law over for dinner to eat my vension steaks.
* Venison was so juicy and tender, you could cut it with a butter knife!

Christmas dinner -- further proof
Same scenario as above with "still hunter" venison.
We invited my sister & brother-in-law over and our older nextdoor neighbors over for a nice Christmas dinner. We usedthe last of the venison -a 12 pound venison ham (I cut up/de-boned the other ham a long time ago). My wife helped me marinate it and the two of us used her great big slow cooker/roaster. We slow cooked the big 12 pound ham all day long in the same recipe, but then with a few hours to go, my wife addedpotatos, onions, carrots, etc.. It was delicious!!!
* 12 pound venison roast slow cooked with same recipe.
* Venison just about fell off the bone - it was so tender.
* Nextdoor neighbors wife (nice lady, don't get me wrong but at times, she can get, um, "fussy" - if you know what I mean) could not believe how good the venison tasted and how tender it was.

Long story short.... You have to ask yourself: Do you want to eat venison that is pumped full of adrenaline and all gamey tasting and tough like shoe leather. Or do you want to eat venison that is very tender with little to no gamey taste. You know, where the deer was just chillin' out in the woods, not being run to death my deer dogs, and then BOOM - the lights went out.
That's the best excuse I've read yet, However that statement is untrue.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uh, with all due respect, Hokieman, I beg to differ. My taste buds let me know the difference. I mean, there is a difference. $10 dollar bet... There is a difference...

Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 AM

On topic - The guys that I know working in the VHDA are stand up long time hunters. The members I know of the clubs affiliated are also long time good guys. From how it has been presented to me it is a good organization and that can be seen by the individuals and clubs joiningthis organization.

Off topic - Venison and "gamey" taste. It has been my experience that the "gamey taste or tough meat" that people associate with venison is from improper care and/or butchering of the meat. Shoot a buck in full rut, gut him and skin him with the same knife without cleaning the knife, bust a piss sack or guts without washing out the cavity, etc. are the usual culprits in a bad piece of meat. How often have you gone to a steak house and ended up chewing a filet or ribeye? It's all in the butchering and prep. I'm almost to the point of swearing off steak other than what I grill because of this.

Spence

Quick Reply: Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.