Preachers: If you're hunting Sunday morning, you are not in church giving your 10% Angry spouses: More time..." />

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Reasons people oppose Sunday hunting

Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Reasons people oppose Sunday hunting

After reading all the comments on here about Sunday hunting and the Survey conducted here in NC, I figured I would throw some fuel on the fire

Preachers:
If you're hunting Sunday morning, you are not in church giving your 10%

Angry spouses:
More time hunting, less time for the "honey-do" list

Anti-hunters:
Well they don't want you hunting Mon-Sat either.

Religous folks (includes other hunters):
They are much holier than you are and they know whats best for this worldso just suck it up.

This is obviously an incomplete list of all the good reasons people have. Please feel free to add your own to the list.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Reasons people oppose Sunday hunting

I try not to hunt on Sunday BUT do not condemn others who do..and would appreciate the same respecttowardsme who chooses not too..

I use Sunday as a day set apart ot worship God, and spend time with family..BUT I don't mind others who chooseto hunt..
Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 PM

I went to Catholic school my whole life and coontinue to go to church on a regular basis. I hunt Sundays because it is really the only day I can. Being a single father with 3 kids and a job I gotta take what free time I have and run with it. I don't see a problem with it. If we are condeming that why are we not cursing those who sit all day sunday in front of a TV watching football or NASCAR? Are they not worshiping a false god......and on the sabbith, what nerve. And what of the people who spend the day relaxing at the lake fishing? Is that any different? Are fish not gods creatures just as much as deer?
Sorry to ramble on, I just deal with non-hunters on a daily basis and it just gets to you sometimes........don't think we need to bring religion into it, anti's have enough false facts to ramble on about anyway. But, by all means I respect any and all hunters who choose not to hunt on Sundays, just please don't judge others who do. After all I believe god said something about juding others didn't he?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Spike

The name of Sunday has nothing to do with Christianity, but everything to do with even more ancient religions. The ancient Greeks knew that the sun was the source of life on the planet and they gave it prime importance in their thinking. When the Romans later adopted the seven day week they emphasize their respect for the sun by naming the first day of the week for it..."dies solis"..."day of the sun".

The actual word "Sunday" is derived from the German word "Sonntag" (and they likely got it from the Scandanavians). These folk too placed a great deal of importance on the sun. Some tribes of these Germanic peoples invaded England in the 500's or so. They were known as the Angles and the Saxons. The old English work was "sunnandaeg" and it changed over time to become our current, "Sunday".

So who decided that "Sunday" was the day of rest. It could have been any other day of the week.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

This thread may need movedto the religious site...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Just so you know I'm no Saint, but, I do go to church. If they allow hunting on Sundays, I'm Hunting period. I can go to Church on Sunday evening or evenduring the weekduring huntingseason. Especiallywhen I get home from work after dark on the weekdays.I'll go to church on Sunday Mornings the rest of the year that isn't involved with hunting season. Just because it's Sunday Morningdoesn't mean you have to be in church, there are other ways you can prove your faith. People may say "you can't talk that way about church". Well let me tell you something, just because you don't goto church on Sunday Mornings won't make you any less of a person.Just the way I feel. I'm sure someone willpost some clever reply to this but that's how they do it out west and it looks like they're getting along ok and they never had no hunting on Sundays.

VA
Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey I noticed these replies have been to what I wrote..I honestly thought I wrote a nice, non threatening ,non judgemental reply..what is the deal??
Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

this is not a religous subject,some in va. are just trying to make it one. its just a stupid out dated va. law that needs to be changed. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here here!!! The asinine, archaic, ban on Sunday hunting makes absolutely no sense in this day and age!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Digi

After reading all the comments on here about Sunday hunting and the Survey conducted here in NC, I figured I would throw some fuel on the fire

Preachers:
If you're hunting Sunday morning, you are not in church giving your 10%

Religous folks (includes other hunters):
They are much holier than you are and they know whats best for this worldso just suck it up.

This is obviously an incomplete list of all the good reasons people have. Please feel free to add your own to the list.

seems to me that this kind of attitude is probably part of the reason that hunting isn't allowed on sundays... stereotyping makes you no better than those "religious folks" and "preachers" that you degrade..what good is going to do to point out who is, in your opinion, "wrong?"...im personally one who doesn't believe you have to go to church to get to know your god, and thus don't agree with the religious arguments against not hunting on sunday....but just blatantly casting all religous folks and preachers into one group, come on man, show a little intelligence

Quick Reply: Reasons people oppose Sunday hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.