Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Got a Bear

Old 12-01-2002, 02:13 PM

Default Got a Bear

Got a Male 190 lb black bear yesterday. It was great. Two of them charged at us. Shot him at 10 yds away. It was so cool.. The other got away we will get him next weekend.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2002, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Got a Bear

From what I have read about bears. Is that they have terrible eye sight. So he might have mistaken us for chow. But I dont know I have read that and been told thats why. There smell and hearing are tremendous. Better then any other animal out there. The wind was working for us on this one. Been hunting these two bears for 2 years now. There is one there about 350-400 lbs I will bag him this year. Later
Old 12-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

It is unusual for black bear males to charge a human, unless there is something wrong with animal, like near starvation or wounded, because humans are not their normal food source. It is true that their eye sight is not the greatest, but their sense of smell and hearing are very acute. If the wind was "working for you" then they should not have winded you and if they did they certianly would have gone the opposite direction unless cornered, rather than charge you. Seems odd that they charged you. You must have startled them.

I have had bear very close to me on several occassions, yet I have never had one charge me. I had one bear at 7 paces of my ground blind, yet it did not charge me. Instead we stared at each other for a moment, then the bear went back into the canal it came out of at full speed, then I headed for the truck at full speed. Another was standing at the base of my ladder stand looking up at me and then just wander off into the corn field to eat. If I had a camera and taken a picture, my knees, my feet, and the bear would have been in the picture. Another time I went into a cut at dark to help a buddy drag out a deer that he shot before dusk. He had tripped over a limb or root and lost his glasses. He was very concered on the radio, because he was blind, with a deer to get out, and there was a big sow with 2 cubs in the area when he shot the deer. On my way in to him, I came across the sow and 2 cubs at 30 yards. They winded me and after a few tense moments took off for the wood line and did not charge. I have been concered enough to thumb the hammer back on the muzzleloader or take the safety off, but I have never been concered enough to shoot one in these situations.

I have taken 3 bear here in eastern NC, a 228, a 377, and a 423 pounders, all three were males. The biggest one was aged at 3.5 to 4 years of age, the samllest at 2.5-3 years. It is not unsual for young immature males to run together in 2's or 3's.

Congrats on your success, and thank goodness you weren't hurt. But, I too, would like to know why you were charged.

Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 AM

hey one shot what part of NC do you hunt in, is that still hunting or hound hunting.drop me a line at [email protected] am in NC also
Old 12-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Outlaw, I live in Greensboro, but belong to a club in Beaufort Co, half way between Washington and Plymouth NC, off of NC Hwy 32. That is were I have taken all 3 of my bear. They were all taken within a 400-500 yard radius, by still hunting. Believe me, I've been still hunting for bear in this area for atleast 12 years now, and only have taken 3, the odds are definately in the bear's favor. they have lots of bear in that part of the state, as I have seen as high as 31 during the week of eastern muzzleloading season alone. These were 31 different bear, as I hunted a dozen or so different stands that week.

They run bear a lot with dogs down there, but I never really cared for that style of bear hunting, as the biggest challenge is keeping up with the dogs, not the hunt itself. One guy I know well, that runs bear with dogs, nice fellow, uses a Winchester pump .22 magnum rifle to bear hunt with. Once the dogs tree them or corner them, it's just a matter of shooting them in the ear or eye, for the kill. They have a new peice of game land, about 10 miles from our club, that has only been open for a couple years now. On this particular 5,000 acre peice of game land, a bunch guys came down from the mountains with their dogs last year and took 32 bear off that game land. They basically wipe them out on that piece of game land, I mean they shot every danged thing they could, size did not matter. This is why I don't have a lot of respect for dog bear hunters. The state has closed that peice of game land for bear hunting this year and will most likely be closed for the next 2-3 years as well, becuase of these jerks.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:40 AM

hey one shot i work in greensboro and live next to danville on the state line in caswell,my dad and i have a few dogs no club just us 2,so is there any opens in the still hunting club you are in and that guy you know where runs hounds does he let anyone hunt with him. drop me a email at [email protected] thanks