Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Process you own?

Old 11-29-2002, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Process you own?

Just wondering how many of you process your kill.
Not just stew beef or roasts etc...
I mean grind up for burger and sausage add the mean ingridents and package the finished product.
FirstBow

Old 11-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Process you own?

I do, and have most of my life. It's not that hard. I usually let them hang til the next AM. roast, loins, sausage, burger, the whole shebang. I tried to use a processor several times, but cost and disagreement turned me off. I actually enjoy it.

Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I kill the deer, skin em, quarter em up. but I absolutely HATE to cut
up the meat. my wife does that. she cuts some into steaks, some stew meat, maybe a neck roast. we hardley ever grind any up for hamberger or sausage.

daytona 500 winner- Ward Burton
go Cat-22
Old 11-30-2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I always did until last year. I really didn't have the time so now I skin and quarter them and take them to a local shop. Get it back in about 2 weeks. I have a grinder but no cubing machine. That cube steak is really good cooked in the crock pot all day. They only charge $35 so it's really not worth the hassle for me to spend 3 hours cutting it up and then another hour cleaning up.

By the way, I'll make somebody a deal on an Oster meat grinder.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:16 PM

I gotta process my own. The going rate around here for a meat packer to do it is $90, even if you skin and quarter it. The cost of 3 or 4 deer is just too much, so I do it myself. Its not too bad if you have the right equipment. I would like to find a partner though who is a butch, I could be his best friend.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

BowNC I heard that! I have wondered before if it was my take or someone elses meat.
We have recently purchased a new grinder. It came with 2 sausage tubes large and small, pattie packer and 4 different gauge blades from fine to thick grind. It'll do about 5 lbs/min, thats rolling for me. I have wore out one grinder already. When I took my meat last year to have it processed, it was 35 for burger and 40 for sausage. Now its 45 and 50! Nope! I ain't gonna pay it, I told my Wife. Shoot on the norm, my son and I usually take about 8 - 10 deer a season. You add it up. (But not this year, don't figure huh?.) So we bit the bullet and coughed up $180.00 for a pretty good one.
I worked out some tradin'/swappin' with a local butcher shop.
I get about 25 lbs. pork fat and about 25lbs beef fat. I add 10% - 15% fat to everything. MMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMM. Good ol' pure high cloresterol FAT.
My receipt sausage is sweet. I have to make a min. of 5 lbs. to do it. Hey, thats alright I usually do the hole deer in one or the other.
My wife cuts her own stew meat, as far as the roasts, I'll cut them bad boys out myself and make sure I get'em like I like it.
Its the only way to fly.
As you said "from the field to the fork". I know its mine.
FirstBow

Old 12-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I do all my on ecxept for my sausage. I have a buddy who makes the best I have ever had so I let him do the sausage. I do the hamburger,cube steak and everything else.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:11 PM

firstbow where didi you find your grinder i have been looking for a good one?

OU RULES!!!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I got mine from a butcher I do a little swapin' with.
You can get a pretty good one from Bass Pro Shops. com. I think they were 3 different ones listed. The min. electric was about $125 maybe I'm not sure. It pushed about 2 lbs a min. I would suggest you look for the higher end AMP's and process at least 3 - 5 lbs min. You'll know you've got the power you need, yes more POWER!

Quick Reply: Process you own?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.