Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va Hunters

Old 11-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Va Hunters

Cruiser said it right. I'm a civilian, so I have the brown card and get last pick of the spots, but Cruiser was also right about hunting during the weekday. That's the only time I'll hunt public land. If you 'renew' your Quantico lisence every year, you only need to take the Quantico hunter ed. course the first time.

As for the rut kicking in at a different time, it's not so much the weather that triggers the rut as it is the amount of light every day. I've been seeing ruttin activity up here in Northern VA for the past 3 weeks. Seen some good scrapes and TONS of rubs.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

North Stafford here, I hunt Quantico but really do not like the system they have that "Joe Civilian" can and does get "bumped" from hunting areas by rank of Military personell. Ft. Belvoir nor A.P. Hill does this. I hunt mostly Belvoir with bow, A.P. Hill with Black Powder and gun. Quantico with bow and gun also. By far A.P Hill has the best program besides Belvoir (bow only). The line at A.P. Hill is insane ,but if you hunt durring the week, I have never seen a line nor had to stand in one, its the Saturday/Friday night hunting line. I have gone down in the week, tues, wed, thurs. and just walked up and went to the spot I wanted to go. I usually hunt TA-10. some other areas too, but have taken a deer out of that area everytime I have gone.

PS. Welcome to the board.~Ben

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 11-10-2002, 02:48 PM
geo
Spike

I live in va beach and hunt southhampton county (courtland) and chesapeake on occasion. Missed a nice 8 pointer last week. Cant wait for gun season....geo
Old 11-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Spike

I live in Va Beach, too. I generally only hunt in Buckingham County, as my brother-in-law has a small piece of land out there. Hate the 3 1/2 hour drive, though. Has anyone hunted on the Chicohominy WMA?
I have never hunted public land before, only on small private land with a few friends &/or my dad. I've only killed one doe, so far, but I keep trying & learning each year.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:58 PM

Hello guys! I live in Danville and the rut is already going on here! I saw an 8 pointer breed a doe Saturday morning and they are chasing them everywhere. I would have shot the 8 pointer but 2 days before I saw the largest buck I have ever seen in the wild and theres no way I'm gonna mess up the opportunity to ultra tag him! Good huntin everybody!
Old 11-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Crusier,

Thanks a lot for the information I've just talked to the check station personnel, yes it's 15.00 this year and a 20 minute video along with a chit chat afterwards. I'll be attenting @ 0545 thursday.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Ben,

I've heard much talk about AP Hill, haven't really looked into hunting it until recently. I too use a Bow, my things is I'm tired of traveling and want to hunt closer to home you know lol.

I guess you have a pretty good spot there Ben, bagging a deer each time in that's great! I normally hunt during the week days less pressure upon the Big Bucks..hehe and betters my chances.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Sp865,

Patients!! The buck will come to you in time, best of luck on your next outting. Hopely when I head back to culpepper on opening day I can revenge the miss shot I had on a 12 pt monster I saw if he's still around. I'm sure he will present himself to me as I'm wiser this year.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just wanted to wish you all luck, I got my first bowkill the first of the month and am hoping to get my first blackpowder before gun opens. I have killed a ton of deer in Va. with rifle and shotgun, took me 3 seasons with a bow to get my first bowkill, I doubt the black pwder will take that long(I hope).

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-11-2002, 02:24 PM

Howdy fellow VA boys. I live in Chesterfield County and hunt up in Buckingham bordering the James River with Taylor Hunt Club. Last Friday I set up in my favorite spot which each year is hot with scrapes. My buck came out of the cutovers 10 minutes before dark and hit the fire trail with nose down (she-pee). He came right under my tree - 30 foot shot. That is when my cell phone decided that he needed to beep me with low battery warning. Two beeps was enough.

All that was visible (damn leaves are holding tough this year) was his head – neck – and top shoulder. I scoped him at the base of neck and dropped him. 8 pointer – not huge but decent. Later the next day from the same stand I saw the beast monster who dominates the area – wide and tall beams. Hopefully this Saturday he’ll make a mistake………

Good luck out there. Rain Rain Rain. Drought????

Quick Reply: Va Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.