Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Has anyone hunted Kicco before.beside River Ranch

Old 07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hunted Kicco before.

Thanks Reb.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hunted Kicco before.beside River Ranch

I got more information yesterday.Yes..I can use my jon boat to hunt the hogs on the many tributaries which run off the Kissimmee River. When actually hunting though ,the motor must be turned off. I am now thankful I have a little jon boat.The place is supposed to be full of hogs. We will see. Kicco is litterally the land at the dam at the Kissimmee Dam.It's on the right side of the road. It's only 7000 acres and that is why only 15 hunters are allowed.
C7
Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Just got done scouting 4 miles of Kicco. Lot's of hog signs , a few deer tracks and one turkey track.Lot's of squirrels. There are lots of steers running wild as well. So far it's been vey dry with many huge blackjack oaks. Very twisted trees. I could not find any trees to put a climber in unless palm tres are ok. I've never done that before. Here's some fresh hog tracks. ..
Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

I could not find any trees to put a climber in unless palm trees are ok. I've never done that before.
Chuck, tie a long cord to your stand and the other endto your waist. Climb the Oak tree and find yourself a good branch to put the seat part of your stand on, and then hoist it up.This I have done many times with my Tree Lounge. It is a lot better than a straight tree for concealment, makesit harder for animals to see you.

As for Palm Trees, well, you don't want to do it in north Fl. cause of the bears. Bears climb the palms to eat the palm berries. It happen to my buddy while we were hunting in Baker County back in the 90's. He didn' want to shoot it , so he kept peeing at itin its face!We will not ever forget about that. He will never live that down!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Good idea Reb,
I called Fish and Game today to make sure I don't need a parking permit as well...I don't. The main gate is locked but bicycles and hikers are welcome. The area is pretty easy to scout. There is a large strand of huge crooked black jack oaks ...a field and then the Kissimmee River. I plan to border the oaks and the field near a water hole. I plan to bring my bike th enext time and check out the Kissimmee River edge though . If there are acorn trees in that area BINGO there would be my hogs. I totally had this place confused. You drive down River Ranch Road 2 miles. Kicco is on the right. I thought it would be on the left. It is high and dry so far.
There are some gorgeous homes in there with a guard in the road.She was very helpful. Hopefully I can make some sausage this year.I've never made it before. That is if I get ahog. LOL