Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Rubs

Old 10-22-2002, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default VA Rubs

I posted this in the bowhunting section, but didn't get many responses. Lets see if some VA hunters have ideas on this.

One thing I've noticed in Northern VA is that the majority of rubs are on trees like pines, cedars, maples, and cherries. Why do bucks prefer these trees to red/white oaks, hickory, etc.? Is it b/c some of them are a little softer or does it have to do w/ what the tree smells like, like pine and cedar for example?

I first started noticing these rubs about 2 weeks ago around the area. What's the best way to set up on these rublines?
Old 10-27-2002, 04:02 AM

Default RE: VA Rubs

The reason bucks tend to rub pines and cedars is because of their rough outside texture. The rough texture seems to alought the velvet to come loose easier. As far as hunting a well used rub line w/t active scraps, I usually set my stand anywhere for 25 to 35 yds away, depending on the thickness of the area. (But what do I know I'm just an 'ol Alabama Redneck )
Goodluck

Edited by - LawDawg on 10/27/2002 05:06:23
Old 10-27-2002, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I too hunt NOVA and I have found just as many pines rubbed as any other, I tend to NOT find any one kind rubbed, but find more of a pattern in diameter of trees, reguardless of the type. I think that on a pine it shows up alot further away, the bright pine under the dark dead bark. I have watched bucks rub small diameter oaks, persimmon,beech,maple, cedar and pines. I have shot bucks that in the early season there heads were quite sticky and smelled of pine, I guess he was rubbing one shortly before he was taken. Thats an intresting thought though. I will pay a little more attention to that, I know an area that I am hunting on Mpnday has trees ,about 50, in a 30 yard area all rubbed, none of them are pines, some areas have all pines rubbed, I will watch this a little more closely and see if I notice anything different than what I have stated.

Hunting ; an act of love for nature guided by the strongest spiritual forces.
http://www.adventuresoutdoors.freehomepage.com/
Old 10-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good question....I'll have to pay attention.....seems like I usually notice the pines and cedars though.