Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

ol' timers, has he taken to many deer out?

Old 10-16-2002, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default ol' timers, has he taken to many deer out?

Friend of mine bought a home some land a few (4) years ago.It had been hunted in about 10 years. Said they (deer) were plentiful. Nothing to see 15-20 a night in different places. He says they have taken approx 15 out in the last 3 years. Now he says they are lucky to 3 or 4. I told him that now that he has started appling hunting pressure and taken them out that they will be harder to find and possibly moved on out. But, I believe he has taken to many out.
What would you tell him?

Edited by - FirstBow on 10/16/2002 07:31:27
Old 10-16-2002, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ol' timers, has he taken to many deer out?

I would first try to figure out what kind of hunting pressure the contiguous lands to his is receiving. Unless he purchased a few thousand acres the deer are not spending all their time on his property. If he has food plots, agricultural fields, mineral licks or good trails a few good trail cameras would be the best indicator of his deer herd. I expect that the non-pressured deer were easier to see and now that they have hunting pressure they are more nocturnal. They are probably still in the area.

Old 10-18-2002, 11:01 AM

Default RE: ol' timers, has he taken to many deer out?

probably not. deer change their pattern based on need. something could have changed. yes on the trailcams, etc.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]