Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Bucks Chasing does in VA

Old 10-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bucks Chasing does in VA

I was hunting saturday morning in the rain and fog. About 9:30 a doe came running by with three small bucks chasing behind her. And two yearlings bringing up the rear. I don't know what was up with these deer. Has anyone in VA seen weird or unusual behavior taking place in the last few days? I think that it is too early for does in be in heat. I did read in the deer and deer hunting mag. that the rut in the south was going to be split into an earlier than normal rut in oct and a later rut in november. They(the author) chalked it up to the moon phases and a late harvest moon.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Bucks Chasing does in VA

Here in Georgia already seeing the same thing. Been following Alsheimer's prediction for years and he is on to something. A lot of factors involved, weather, doe to buck ratio's, area of country and of course hunting pressure but all in all pretty close year in and year out.
Keep the post on the rut this year coming...scrapes...rubs....fighting and trailing and maybe by sharing our imformation we can all benefit.

sixpoint40
Old 10-16-2002, 05:20 AM

6-40. If you have been following Alsheimer's predictions for "years" then you know he has not even been close some years. His predictions are for selling magazines. Have you read his follow-up issues with his excuses on why his predictions failed to come true? Fawns are dropped the same time each year for a reason and it has NOTHING to do with a magazine article.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 AM

Ralpie, What part of the country do you live in?
Charles isn't the only one working this study. Try Auburn University, University of Georgia, Clemson...You need more Ralphie? He has a farm in N.Y.
A far cry from the south were fawns still carry thier spots in September. I have never seen fawns here in Georgia or South Carolina dropped at the same time.
He has never written any thing in stone and lays no claim that this is the rutting bible. Its still a ongoing study with real results.
You should reread what I said. There are a number of other factors involved and quite possibly these are factors that have helped you develope what you see in the woods.
I have records that go back 14 years and by following his formulas he has been very accurate. Not always but closer than I could have ever estimated. And contrary to what you must believe, not all deer mate on November 15th.
One more thing Ralphie....the surveys in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine (the most informative I've seen yet} see to prove his theory as fact more and more every year.

sixpoint40....not 6
Old 10-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havn't seen the bucks after the does here in Tennessee, but two reliable guys at work today reported seeing large bucks after the does. That's good enough for me, I'm going this afternoon.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Trust me, if you ever get the chance to see Charles' farm in Stueben County,NY you'd be having as many dreams about monster bucks, and perfect hunting property, as you did when you were a kid on the night before opener.