Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Shed Hunting

Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Shed Hunting

I was wondering how many of you actually go out for the sole purpose of shed hunting after the season? I will go out scouting soon after the season is over, but I will also be squirrel hunting. Also, there is probably 500 acres or more of thick cut down area that the deer spend a lot of time in and I would imagine that this is where most of the sheds end up, or in the thick swampy bottoms. I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any tips. I mean I have found sheds before, but have never specifically went out "shed hunting" as much as just scouting. We did used to find more sheds when we had beagles for rabbit hunting and my uncle had pointers for bird hunting. I don't know if it was because we spent more time out walking or because those types of hunting tend to keep you in thicker areas where the rabbits and quail live. Maybe a little of both.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shed Hunting

I found two sheds last weekend in about an hour.
They were laying on the trails where the deer walk.

I've been out 4 times since, coming thickets and saw nothing.
Jumpeda bunch in the process.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shed Hunting

Most of the ones I have found were in foodplots,or around the edges of them.I think because of the deer raising/lowering their heads while eating so much.And the one's in the woods surrounding the foodplot I assume had been loosened during the feeding,and then when the deer exited the foodplot,maybe a vine or limb hit them,and nocked them the rest of the way off.Just my theory.Anyways so nowI primarily look in foodplots,and within 30yds of them in the woods.Hope I helped.