Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

La. Squirrel Opener

Old 10-06-2002, 03:36 PM

Default La. Squirrel Opener

Could not ask for better weather down here in LaPlace, La. Saturday morning. No wind, a little hazy fog, and plenty squirrels, both Saturday and today (Sunday). Most red fox squirrels mixed with a few grays.
They also had a ton of mosquitos. I was completely covered in camo, including head nets, gloves, and they were still trying their butt off getting to me. I bought that deet stuff and it does keep them from biting you but they still buzzing all around ya.
I will be back int the woods during the week, cause this weekend coming up we are going to try out our new (really used) motorhome. Should be a lot of fun. But will miss the weekend.
How about anyone else in Louisiana??? How was your opening day?
Swampchopper
Old 10-06-2002, 04:24 PM

Default RE: La. Squirrel Opener

I went in Reserve and the woods were flooded from Lili..all but one path that we took..it was thick with water moccasins(sp?)Since it was me and my cousins first time(without his dad and my dad helping us)we didnt have a very good day..but yes the weather was good..slight fog and no wind! If I only knew what I was doing,hehe..By the way.we did see 2 deer..too bad its not deer season.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:01 PM

Come on Louisiana hunters. They got to be more than me and CajunHunta. Let us know how your opening weekend went. Share a few stories or something.
Swampchopper
Old 10-08-2002, 10:16 PM

I still haven't gone squirrel yet, however I did go bowhunting for the first time on the 6th and it was amazing. I saw a total of six deer and cleanly missed a doe. I have never been so close to deer before. I was so nervous when I had my oppurtinity to take my first deer with a bow. I watched her and a (fading) spotted fawn for about 15 minutes and finally she gave me a perfect shot. She was about 20 yards away and broadside. I was shaking so bad that my knees and elbows were shaking tremendously. I started to pull my bow back and she looked at me, so I had to pause. Then she put her head down and I tried to finish my draw, she looked at me again, so I stopped. Then she put her head down again and I got fully drawn back and missed. I was so nervous and excited. It was the best deer hunting trip ever. I am fairly new to deer hunting, I have only kiled two with a rifle. I am hooked forever on deer hunting in October.

Old 10-09-2002, 06:51 AM

I hope to go soon, I love squirrel hunting!

Will go not this weekend, but next. Will report back soon!

btw, I live in Kenner, from Pitkin, went to school in Monroe

-----------------------------
webmaster - www.kraw.us
moderator - www.discussanything.com
Old 11-01-2002, 04:53 PM

Tomorrow morning should be great! 11-2-02, which is Saturday, nice coolness to the air, and light to little wind. So for my season is going good.
How about anybody else from Louisiana?
Swamp
Old 11-03-2002, 09:41 PM

Hey Swampchopper,
I killed a 4 pt. 140 lbs. buck this evening. Shot him at 5:00 p.m. exactly. So far the season is doing great. Opening day was yesterday. I live in Shreveport, I can't wait to get back to Laplace and do some hunting in the swamps. Good Luck.

Old 11-07-2002, 05:42 PM

LaHunter, good deal on your 4pt. For whatever reason I hunt everything but deer. But this year I just may give it a try I just dont know. I have seen a few, but never made a point to hunt them. I do all small game, and this will be my second year going after the turkey. I hunt turkey last year in Livingston at my sons land. But my primary game is squirrel. I love hunting them. Also rabbits, ducks, doves, and so on. They have a lot of ducks right now coming down in the new Marepaus Swamp Management Area. It goes from hwy 51 all the way past St. Amant. It made a lot of people mad along the reserve canal area, and anyone who has camps all over, but it has opened up a new world of hunting for a lot of people including me. But I hunt on leased land up there by the chicken coop on Hwy 61. This is where I do most of my hunting. But I been up in the swamps with my motor pirouge and it sure is nice not getting run off. Talk to ya later.
The Swamp