Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

HURRICANERELIEF QUESTION FORALL HUNTERS

Old 09-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Default HURRICANERELIEF QUESTION FORALL HUNTERS

Hello,
My husband is an avid hunter in GA and I know that bow season is opening next weekend so many will be hunting and hopefully killing deer. Hog is also already open. Anyway my question is this...............I know here in GA we have hunters for the hungry. I was wondering what ya'll thought or if its even possible to have something like tha to help feed all the hurricane survivors. Would that be a possibility, would it be hard to process all that meat that people donate, would the dept. of agriculture have to inspect it and if so how hard would it be to have done. So The real question is would it be possible to have a hunters and fisherman for hurricane katrina relief program? Would people paticipate and would it be possible to feed all those people deer and hog and fish and whatever else.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 PM

Default RE: HURRICANERELIEF QUESTION FORALL HUNTERS

I'm always lookin for places to donate meat, Hunters for the Hungary isn't that big in Florida. I checked it out once and I would have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Jacksonville just to drop it off. I'd be willing to do that drive for a disaster like this though.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good idea, but I'm not sure if it is practical in this type of situation. Raw meat is hard to keep safely and most of the areas that need food products don't have electricity. Most of the butcher shops that take game for the hungry want $65 or so to process a deer. Then there is the problem of dispursement of the meats. I had rather just donate money to a reputable organization or buy cases of tuna or other canned meats to give. By the way, welcome to the board.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could can it and send it to me . . .venison that is . .don't care for pork. I like mine a little salty and no bones please. Also I am reputable and organized . .does that make me a reputable organization?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Most of the butcher shops that take game for the hungry want $65 or so to process a deer.
If they charge then they aren't very ethical.The butcher shops here forhunters for the hungery in our area does all their work for free no charges or hidden cost anywhere. All you do is take your meat to them then they butcher it and giive it to the local soup kitchens or whereever has made a request for it. Sounds like your butcher is making a quick hustle.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:06 PM

theres a guy who processes deer here in our town, he take donated deer and process it,not for sure who picks it up, but they pay for the processing,i usually carry him several a year, i think buckmasters does this also, pay for the processing. good idea
Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I give my extra to people at church who are having a tuff time,then the salvation army for the street people