Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

How do you guys hunt in the heat????

Old 10-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you guys hunt in the heat????

I wear a T-shirt and shorts underneath my super lightweight mesh camo pullover and pants. But even then, I ROASTED on opening day here in Virginia! I had to give up by 10:00am. Come on cool weather!!!!

Butch
Old 10-13-2002, 04:31 PM

got a nephew who hunts down in louisiana. he has one of those mosquito suits with the mesh underneath. says he wets it before getting into the stand then puts it on. like air conditioning.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:52 PM

I usually wear a pair of shorts or thin pants & take a 1/2 gallon jug of ice water. And keep plenty of water in the truck for the dogs. I don't see how anyone can sit in a tree for more than a couple of hours at the time, dog hunting is the only way to go for me. Nothing against any of you tree climbers, I do it once in a while during the week after work, but my Saturdays are reserved for the hounds.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:09 AM

I hunt in South Florida where its pretty hot until at least November most seasons. For hunting gear I use long sleeve cotton camo shirts, cotton camo pants, and Rocky snake boots. I spray my gear down with Repel Permanone which takes care of most of the mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers. The Permanone last for two weeks or a couple of washings. For the exposed skin areas I use a high percentage of deet repellant. This is the coolest setup that I have been able to come up with that still gives good protection. Depending on the hunt I also use military camo on my hands and face which is cooler than using a face mask and gloves. As others have mentioned walk fairly slow not to workup a sweat, hunt high and watch the wind.

Aim Hard!

Edited by - FLHunter on 10/17/2002 10:13:22
Old 10-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Preparation, I always take my skeeter suit, thin light weight and it sure helps keep them skeeters off somewhat. Pack well, in my rumpsac I'm sure to have plenty of power-aid, you'll cool off somewhat once you're in the stand and stationary. Hunt early morning, its usually the coolest. But like anything else about the woods, hunker down and deal with it. After awhile you'll sorta kinda get use to it and know what to expect.
FirstBow

Old 10-22-2002, 09:47 PM

you all shouldn't have to worry much about it now?

"Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!"