Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

new coyote hunter

Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Default new coyote hunter

Im planning on going on my first coyote hunt this weekend using a 270 win. and i was wondering what do u do with them after you shoot them and you dont plan on keeping the hide? Thanks for any info
Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new coyote hunter

Well if your not gonna skin them I would leave them for bait for the next hunt. Or if you know anybody who wants them give them to them. Call a local taxidermist or fur buy to see if they want it for free if you don't wanna leave it. If you do leave it i would put it out of the way so people not familiar with hunting don't stumble upon it and get the wrong idea.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Well, skins38, hunting is my life, and coyote hunting makes up most, if not all of my time in the winter. This year, i got 113 salvagable coyotes and 8 fox that i skinned, froze, thawed, washed, conditioned, fleshed, dried, and processed and shipped to grand prarie to the auctin. I obviously sell mine here in canada, and make a decent amount, so depending on how the fur buyers pay down yer way, and if your willing to do alittle dirty work, i would process them and sell the hide...Your choice though....

Take care, Sako7mm[
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM

Leaving it would be the easiest thing but is that illegal to do that in some places? How long does it take to get everthing done to sell them and how much do u get paid for it?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year the pelt won't be "prime" as it would be in winter, so the worth of a pelt that is put up would be very little on the fur market. In the winter time, fur that was put up, in this part of the country anyways, was only worth about $45-$55 dollar, and coyotes in the round were only worth upto $15.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 PM

I would make a few phone calls and find out if any taxidermist would be intrested in buying your yotes.

Remember taxidermist are always getting calls from people looking for finished fully sized yotes that are already finished for their homes.

Also sell the yotes to taxidermist in return for all your future work at a discount or in trade with the taxidermist
Old 05-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

fly tyers sometime will give ya a pretty penny for a tanned hide, A buddy of mine did pay 50 bucks for pelts to tie flys withs, untill he became my friend now he gets pelts for free.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:12 PM

Skins.....let me ask you something...if your not going to do anything with them, then why kill them? Do you think it is o.k. to KILL a living creature for no other purpose than for you to pass some time? This mentality makes me sick, and is the exact mentality that has brought all hunting and hunters under the microscope. If you just want to kill to kill, contact a good therapist in your area and talk about it. And Spike, why don't you go with him....what does your comment about getting the wrong idea mean? I am a hunter and I would be and am offended that this topic would even be discussed. You are both sick. Coyotes are beautiful and complex animals that anybody that has spent any time observing or hunting, have a deep respect for. I am no tree hugger. In fact I have killed hundreds of them. However, the ones that I have killed have been used. People use the skins, the bones, the skulls, the teeth. It's your responsibility to find an outlet for the ones you kill before you kill them. Anybody that kills anything just for the sake of killing is a piece of garbage.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you just want to kill to kill, contact a good therapist in your area and talk about it.

Or Join the Marine Corp
Old 05-15-2005, 10:44 PM

Ya know, moosegal, reading their posts, I didn't get that impression at all. There are many places where coyotes do ungodly amounts of damage to local wildlife because nobody hunts them and they have become desensitized to mans presence. I won't be suprized if I start reading stories in the paper where coyotes begin attacking people in broad daylight. Personally, I'd hunt yotes for the pelts, but if they were becoming a nuissance to a farmer/rancher and I was going to hunt them, it'd be illegal for me to even pick up the dead body.

All I'm sayin is that I think you've jumped to conclusions.

Peace out!

BTW - Wolf, thanks for the input about the fly tiers. I never would have thought to sell furs to that demograph.

Quick Reply: new coyote hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.