Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red Tail in Action

Old 04-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Red Tail in Action

Okay i know this isn't really about small game hunting but i saw something that i haven't ever seen in person but only on TV. I was out going after more squirrels and rabbits with my bow at the o' marsh land as i call it. I saw a Red Tailed Hawk swoop down like a kamazai plane; I just barely saw in the time and it just swooped up that bunny like nothing. I felt lucky to have witness that
Old 05-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Red Tail in Action

Red Hawk, Where ever my son goes, theres always a Red Tail Hawk with him!
We have often talked about it. He has lived in 4 parts of the state and there is
always one around him, no matter where he goes. He is home now and last
week he came in the house and said Dad come out and see this! There was a
Red Tail Hawk on the fence post. It is still around the farm. Does this mean
something to you? We are not native Americans.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is pretty neat definetly. When I was younger, I think about 5 or 6 or so. I was with my dad out camping when i came across a Red T Hawk that was wild yes but it let me come within 5 feet of it and wasn't scared of me. I think the neatest part of that experience for me was that it had same colored blue eyes as i did. I have a small precent of native american in my bloodlines. But it sounds like the red T hawk is being protective of your son in some way, just as i feel they do that for me as well. Whenever I go hunting or camping, heck, even when i am at home. I can see them outside lol
Old 05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Just a short story for you guys interested in hawks. Two years ago I was running my Lab in the woods close to my house at night. We both herd a comotion up in a small tree. I shine my light up and see a hawk flapping his wings and getting very disturbed. Well I shook the tree and it came fluttering down. Once on the ground it layed on its back with its feet in the air and its wings out hissing at me. Now Im not sure but I don't know if they can fly at night? Well me not being very smart I decided to pick it up and take it home. After the first bite , and yes it drew lots of blood, I was able to hold it by the feet and carry it home. I put it in a empty garbage can for the night. The next morning I went out to release the bird. It flew off like nothing was ever wrong. I now hear this hawk, same one I believe, every morning and see it quite regulary for two years now. They truly are amazing creatures. It was quite an experiance.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 PM

On my first turkey hunt this spring I had 4 hens in front of me feeding. All of a sudden they started going crazy. Then aboout 4 feet in front of my nose a red tail hawk swoops down and tries to get a hen. The hawk missed and circled around---only this time it was ******ed by a couple of angry crows. The hawk then swooped down and smacked one of my decoys. The crows then ******ed the hawk out of sight. It was a neat morning.