Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote tips for a Novice

Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Coyote tips for a Novice

Guys I am novice to this sport. I find myself getting really fired up in anticipation of wacking some of these coyotes. What recommendations can you give me concerning Electronic calls(legal in the state I plan hunting them) vs mouth calls , hunting times, firearm recommendations etc. From my conversations with my best friend who is also the property owner no one in a 10 square mile area even hunts these coyotes. Terrain is ideal whitetail habitat with with lots of fields, ponds and bedding areas etc. Any contributions will be deeply appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 08:22 AM

Default RE: Coyote tips for a Novice

I have hunted yotes in Western NY since I was about 17 and have pretty good luck. I don't know what state you are hunting in but, I would make sure you use distress calls of animals that are native to the area.

It wont hurt to try different things once you get your feet wet but stick to the basics to get started. Calling coyotes can be a blast and if you already have a good idea of where the animals are located all the better. You might want to purchase some sort of locator call. Coyote howler for example. Also decoy work well. It gives the dog something to look at other than you. Once they notice the decoy they very seldom take their eyes off of it.

I use a cotton tail in distess call for the most part but I have had luck with a woodpecker distress, fawn distress, grey fox pup, and I have even called them in with a Turkey call during spring turkey.

If you are hunting in a field where you can get a 100 to 200 yard shot I would stick with a rifle and a good scope. 22-250, .223, or .243.

I personally use a .243 very seldom do I need a second shot and if I do it is usually my fault. There isn't that much pelt damage either.

If you are going to hunt in a more wooded area or brushy draw I would stick with a 12 gauge loaded with #2 or 0 shot.

Start off your calling sequence quite and get gradually louder. If you start off too loud if there is a dog close you might spook em.

If you call much more than a half hour with no luck I would pick up and try a different location. If you get a hungy yote within hearing distance he'll come running in a hurry. If you have bobcat in the area stick around a little longer about 45 minute to an hour. I don't have many where I live but, have called for them in the Adirondacks. They are more methodicall than a coyote or fox and take a little longer to come in.

Good luck
Hope this info helps.
[&:]
Old 02-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Should I stick with mouth calls or go for electronic calls?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:54 AM

The electronic calls are good because you have your hands free and there is less movement on your part. You can just turn on the caller and let it run.

Go for about a minute and a half or two minutes then break for about 5. If nothing turn it back on and gradually increase the volume untill it is up all the way and let it run. Works great when combined with a decoy.

I like moth calls when I go out hunting in general. If you see a coyote you can pull it out and give him a couple of screams to see if he'll come in. IK always have one on me when I am bohunting.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any you can recommend?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 AM

I personally use a Johny Stewart Electronic caller but, mine is an older model. They make them a liitle more compact now.

I use a Primo rabbit sqawler from my mouth blown call.

Most of the calls out there are pretty good. Go with a reputable brand like Primo or Lohman. Pick up one of the instructional videos and practice with the mouth calls before going into the field. If the family dog runs into the other room and hides you're probably doing it wrong.

If he comes running along with every other dog within ear shot your good to go
Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

were can i get a fawn in distress call?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use mouth calls because they are cheap and you can manipulate the sounds. I like Circe, Burnham Brothers, and Lohman mouth calls. My favorite is the Circe 3-in-1. I also have two howlers, a Lohman and a Primos. I use the howler to locate the yotes, then move in closer and go to work with the other calls. The howlers are open reed calls, so they take a little practice. The others are all closed reed and are very easy to use. They also store in pockets for easy carrying.

As far as firearms, depends on what my shots are going to look like. Most of the time I use my .223, and it is very capable out to 300 yards. I seldom call on windy days, but for windy conditions or shots past 300 yards, I use a 25-06.

After I've used the howlers and the yotes respond, I move in and try to get where I can see a good ways downwind. Not all coyotes circle and approach from downwind, but most do. That's why it is important to have a clear view of your downwind side. I usually use a jackrabbit or cottontail to start with. I blow on it four of five times, then wait for about five minutes, then repeat. If I have a coyote hanging up, I change calls to a coaxer or something different to try and draw him on in. I keep at it for about thirty minutes unless hawks are still flying over. I find that they usually respond first. I've had coyotes come before I finished my first set of calls, so it's important to be ready to fire at all times.

As for hunting times, I reccommend early morning and late evening hunts when you see what's going on all around you. Especially if your hunting them by yourself. If the coyotes haven't been hunted much, you'll have a lot easier time drawing them in.

I have hunted all kinds of terrain, but seldom have I ever been able to call coyotes around a stock pond. I don't know what it is about them, but the coyotes won't hang around them long even when coming in for a drink. Coyotes also seldom come across an open field during the daytime. They prefer to go around the edges. I have used the wind to my advantage a couple of times, setting up where coyotes can use the edge and approach from almost downwind, but my scent is actually blowing parallel in the field parallel to the edge.

Good luck and good hunting.