Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need advice on a setup for yotes.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Need advice on a setup for yotes.

I have just found a 600 acre peice of land that is full of yotes. That belongs to one of my teachers and he asked me if I want to go out and hunt for them. I told him that I would really like to but he lives about 20 miles from me and I no longer have a drivers lincee and will be needing to hitch a ride to and from.

As of now he could give me a ride out to his place after school and stop at my house and pick up my gear, but I would need to find a ride home. I have a cheap electronic caller that worked this summer but that was when I did a bunch of pup yips and the pups made the noise. What would I use in the winter. I was thinking about a distressed fawn.

The thing I am going to ask is how should I hunt it? I live in eastern maine whare the cover is thick, and we just got about a couple of feet of snow so it will be tough going but im used to walking through deep snow and I am in pretty good shape so Im up for the challange.

Any advice will be appreacited thanks.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice on a setup for yotes.

if you are hunting during daylight hours i would be in the woods or field in a stand.
if at night then i would hunt a field because it is hard to see them in the woods with a light at night. distressed rabbit or fawn will work. along with a coyote fighting another coyote of coyote fighting a fox. this i what i have had more yotes called in with so far this year. u may even try the pup yips since it is breading season(just started)
Old 02-13-2005, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just got in from snowshoeing with my girlfriend and we found some tracks. We have found a bunch of yote tracks running up the edge of the woods just a couple of yards parrelel of some deer tracks. By the size of the deer tracks it looks like smaller deer.

I am going to head out tommarow after school and give it a try. Thanks agian.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:08 PM

Use a rabbit in distress call and always remember that a coyote will circle down wind from the call.Keep your eyes open and good luck!