Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

distress vs. distress????

Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Default distress vs. distress????

what would you hunters choose for yote hunting???
fawn distress or a sqirrel distress i am using them in the winter.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Default RE: distress vs. distress????

Dont use fawn distress in the winter. Use it more towards spring.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: distress vs. distress????

You can use either one of them any time of year. Coyotes don't stop and "reason" that "hey, it's not time for fawns to be born, so I'm not falling for that 'ol trick." Instead, a coyote hears some thing in distress, they don't care what it is, but it is part of being a predator that makes it respond believing that there is indeed a possible easy meal waiting. By reasoning that there aren't any fawns on the ground so it won't work is like saying that a jack rabbit distress won't work where jack rabbits don't live!! All distress sounds will work sometimes, but you have to make the sound be "distressed" enough to fool the coyote! Another example, a friend of mine in Idaho has been having very good success this winter with "pig in distress" BUT there aren't any pigs with in 100 miles of where he is hunting. It's a matter of survival for the predator, they are opportunist, they eat when they can, what they can, where they can.
You give the coyote way too much credit in beleiving that they won't come to a fawn distress just because it's not the right time of year, HOW EVER, the fawn distress may well work BETTER during fawning season! Right now is the time to be using coyote vocalizations, expecially female invitation and interogation howls!!