Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Cottontails Circles - Ealry and Late in Season

Old 01-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cottontails Circles - Ealry and Late in Season

I'm heard that rabbits run smaller circles in the early season, and later in the season, the rabbits fun bigger circles. (with dogs) Have any of you found this to be true?? I hunt alot and my dogs are respective and usually can circle the rabbit around. But most of the time that statement isnt true?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Cottontails Circles - Ealry and Late in Season

i do a little rabbit hunting but i have never seen that always they run straight away from me in straight lines never in circles but it could be something they do i just never saw it yet... it might be the dogs makin them run in circles i dont use dogs
Old 01-13-2005, 11:21 AM

Rabbits will run in a circle unless they feel they are in imminent danger. (i.e. - They know both you AND the dog are there.) The circles can be wide or narrow, it all just depends on the size of the rabbits territory, which can be as big as 100 acres in the warmer months, but also reduces by quit e a bit in the colder months. So, if you find a place with a good vantage point and have some upper-body camo (rabbits tend to notice this area most), then when your dog jumps the rabbit, it'll eventually make a circle, giving you at least one good shot.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ks.. I would have to agree with you... The only difference I have found is that later in the year, to me which is febraury and march, male rabbits will run huge huge runs and rarely circle because they are intruding because of mating... Thats what i've found...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 PM

That being the case, then why would the rabbit run circles at all. A rabbit can breed 6 times a year if necessary. It's the big reason for the population explosions you see. I'm not saying you are wrong or that you just can't hit a moving object ( I'm totally messin with ya on that one.), but I personally don't think that mating season has anything to do with it. If the rabbits you're hunting are in an orchard or other tree growing farm, I can see them running in more of a straight line because it would seem the rows of trees would act just like a fence row. Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Differnet area, different terrain, different experiences?? Just what I have experienced?? Good luck hunting!! - Buckhunter14