Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

NE Predator Calling

Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default NE Predator Calling

I've tried fox/yote hunting on several occasions and met it with little success. I know there are plenty of fox in my area (SW PA) and rumor has it that it's coyote infested. I've trapped quite a few fox, and killed a few and one coyote while shooting groundhogs.

I have yet to call one in.

I wanna videotape a coyote/fox being called in. As I won't be shooting it, I am free to use electronic calls. Eventually, I'd like to learn manual calls for hunting, but I first need to grasp what calls to make and when - the easiest way to learn is to use electronics.

I have a fox pup tape, a chicken distress and rabbit distress tape, as well as a mouse squeaker w/rubber bulb. I also have cordless light w/red lexan lens. How and when should I use these calls??? Should I buy a howler??
Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NE Predator Calling

Since you are wanting to video the action, I'd suggest you do your calling during daylight, the first few hours and the last couple of hours of day light should be the best times, although they can be called any time during the day, expecially when it's cold. Night time calling and videoing is more difficult for several reasons!
As far as when to use which call that you have, I'd suggest that you do start with your squeeker, use it for about the first 2 or 3 minutes, maybe up to 5 minutes, of your set and if you have nothing in sight coming to the call, switch to your rabbit distress call. Stay on stand for at least 15-20 minutes, upto 30 minutes. Since you are targeting fox, there's really no reason to buy a howler. Using a howler isn't necassary to call coyotes either, it is how ever, a very useful tool when used correctly. The best times for using a howler is just before and during the coyotes mating season, although it can be used and effective through out the year, BUT again, it is not necassary for calling coyotes.
Also, don't be afraid to mix in your other couple of sounds. In other words, if you're not having any success with the squeeker and rabbit, don't be afraid to try your fox pup and chicken sounds. And don't be fooled thinking that because there are no chickens around that the sound won't work. Predators don't seem to care what the sound is, as long as it sounds DISTRESSED!! I have a good friend in Idaho using a pig in distress, and there are no pigs any where close to his calling area. I use woodpecker distress and there aren't any trees for miles around sometimes, but it works!!