Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

dumb question---lead poisoning?

Old 01-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dumb question---lead poisoning?

Hey guys
I've been shootin' squirrels, rabbits, and various winged and other small, edible creatures all my life (I'm 34) with various weapons of choice. Although I'm sure I've considered it before--last night I was eating a rabbit and wondered if I swallow any lead shot would that have any effect on me or is there a chronic build-up or anything?. Does the lead pass out (da butt) with the same efficiency ( I'm normally very efficient) as everything else?.........................I'm already starting to see things (grin)......... (maybe thats from chemical leftovers from my younger days (grin again))
thanks
hb
Old 01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dumb question---lead poisoning?

I did some research on waterfowl in Idaho who have ingested lead pellets and I can tell you that these is a chronic build up effect. The ducks with many lead pellets in their crops were in terrible condition with atrophied muscles and much reduced weight.

But I doubt you could incidentally ingest enough lead to really make a difference in your health.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your reply fine sir---Usually, I find all(?) the pellets, but I could not find any in that rabbit even though there was some definate tissue damage--thanks again--good luck
Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1
is there a chronic build-up or anything?.
Yeah there is. That's the problem with lead. It just builds up until it gets to a lethal level. I think you can guess what happens after that...[:-]
Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM

I know it costs more, but I use strictly steel shot. It doesn't have the effects on the environment that lead does, it still kills what it hits, and it won't kill me if I miss one in the meat, though I might still break a tooth.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

jeez its not rocket science just take the time to pick the shot out before you cook it...........
ive found a tooth pick and slim needle nose pliers to be very helpful in taking shot pellet out of a squirrel or rabbit. or something you can do to minimize the amout of pellet in your game is use larger shot pellet, larger pellets means less pellets and the chances of the pellets making a complete pass through it much greater. for squirrel since they are pretty tough critters and need some pellet penetration to kill them I use number 4 or 5 shot and most of the pellets pass all the way through. Rabbits on the other hand dont take much to kill, Ill use 4 or 5's if they are skittish and my shots are fairly long but if they hold and I can get close shots then Ill use number 8 or 9 shot, with that small of a pellet they tend to not go deeper then the skin and are usually sitting on top of the flesh and most of them fall out when skinning the rabbit you might have to pick out a few. good luck