Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trying to get into trapping!!!

Old 01-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trying to get into trapping!!!

hey i was jsut wonderin wat it takes to get started in the trapping business if anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. i live in southern new jersey if that helps any or you need any info like that.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:30 PM

Default RE: Trying to get into trapping!!!

dirt sifter
small trowel
fox lure/bait
#2 coils spring trap
18 - 24" of rebar stakes
rubber gloves
screen
lures
dry dirt

To make a dirt hole set, take and dig a small hole about 2 ft deep and at a 45 degree angle, then i would put fox bait on a back stop such as a stump (dig the hole close to the backstop) then bed the trap so it is solid and doesnt move under any pressure, if animals feel this they will flip over ur trap and u will never catch one. Another trick that works good is that if u have some white deer hide or sheep wool stick a piece of that down it the hole to make it look like a mouse and keep their attention. Then place a screen the size of the jaws over the pan to keep the dry dirt out from under the pan. Another trick is to have your trap pan in the lowest spot this is where predators will step. You can also place sticks around the trap to make sure they come form the front instead of the side or back, cuz predators will not step on sticks when the are sneaking up on prey. Then place your deer hide in the whole with some lure. Then when u get your set how u like it i would brush away all the tracks and spray urine everywhere you have stepped or touched with fox urine. Use a pair to set the trap (new gloves) so that the amimals do not smell human and get suspicious and walk off, and any pair you want to scent and spray urine with. Do not set and scent with the same pair.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-08-2005, 11:32 PM

Sorry i forgot to tell you that after you dig your hole you need to dig a pan bed about 4-6 inches from the whole and about 5-6 inches deep to drive your stake down in one corner then set the trap solid, then the screen the cover it with dirt so you cant see the screen then level it out so there is just a thin layer covering the screen, but where you still cant see it, put the pan in the low spot!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Hey Bowman, I also live in southern NJ. I hunt fish and trap. Give me a shout at [email protected] I live in Pennsville.
ORIGINAL: Bowman4440

hey i was jsut wonderin wat it takes to get started in the trapping business if anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. i live in southern new jersey if that helps any or you need any info like that.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:57 AM

We are not allowed to use leg holds in NJ. Snare only. It takes a different kind of trapper to use snares. I use leg holds in PA and NY. Believe me snaring is way more effective. That is why it is illegal in most states. But, the do gooders here think it better. We can use body grip in and under water. Last season 62 fox, 200 plus coon, 2000 muskrats. no skunks and turned loose unknown oppusum.
ORIGINAL: bradcottrill1021

dirt sifter
small trowel
fox lure/bait
#2 coils spring trap
18 - 24" of rebar stakes
rubber gloves
screen
lures
dry dirt

To make a dirt hole set, take and dig a small hole about 2 ft deep and at a 45 degree angle, then i would put fox bait on a back stop such as a stump (dig the hole close to the backstop) then bed the trap so it is solid and doesnt move under any pressure, if animals feel this they will flip over ur trap and u will never catch one. Another trick that works good is that if u have some white deer hide or sheep wool stick a piece of that down it the hole to make it look like a mouse and keep their attention. Then place a screen the size of the jaws over the pan to keep the dry dirt out from under the pan. Another trick is to have your trap pan in the lowest spot this is where predators will step. You can also place sticks around the trap to make sure they come form the front instead of the side or back, cuz predators will not step on sticks when the are sneaking up on prey. Then place your deer hide in the whole with some lure. Then when u get your set how u like it i would brush away all the tracks and spray urine everywhere you have stepped or touched with fox urine. Use a pair to set the trap (new gloves) so that the amimals do not smell human and get suspicious and walk off, and any pair you want to scent and spray urine with. Do not set and scent with the same pair.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 AM

Snare are light and fast. Only difference is you have to read the critter. You don't make him come to you, you let him keep do what he's doing only with a wire in the way. My 10 year old got his first 1 this year. Getting in mounted with his first squirrel in mouth. Kids love trapping. My 12 yr old daughter and 10 year old son can't get enough.It's like a christmas present.
ORIGINAL: bradcottrill1021

Sorry i forgot to tell you that after you dig your hole you need to dig a pan bed about 4-6 inches from the whole and about 5-6 inches deep to drive your stake down in one corner then set the trap solid, then the screen the cover it with dirt so you cant see the screen then level it out so there is just a thin layer covering the screen, but where you still cant see it, put the pan in the low spot!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be patient with it!! That was my first mistake in the beginning!!
Old 01-09-2005, 05:23 PM

when using snares please cheeck to make sure to do your best to find out if there are dog hunters in the area
Old 01-09-2005, 05:54 PM

Damn Right. I have 8 beagles. I trap but, know all the beagle men in the area. I call and let them know where I'm at. I set traps and give it 4 days then pull them. That is enough time for game to move through the area. Just doing a little to help everybody. Less fox more rabbits. Name is on snare, have never caught any mans dogs. I also, have 2 chocolate labs ranthem right over snares. They are to tall. I use my hand to set snare height, Most fox hunt with nose to ground.
ORIGINAL: NY-COYOTEDAWGS

when using snares please cheeck to make sure to do your best to find out if there are dog hunters in the area