Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Chain length

Old 12-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Chain length

Greetings,

I am using #2 Bridger offsets, two crushproof swivels, and PIT shock spings with a double stake swivel.
What chain length would you folks reccommend for staked sets?

Steve
Old 12-19-2004, 09:06 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chain length

I would use a short chain, 8 inches if you are double staking. Coyotes are famous for jacking stakes out, but with double stakes they can't pull them. The more chain you have the harder it is to bed the trap and keep all the chain covered up. The only time you need a long chain is with single stakes and this helps to prevent the coyote from pulling up on the stake. Have you looked into using earth anchors as apposed to double staking? They are light to carry and coyotes can't pull them. I use the earth anchor with an 8 inch chain. They also make bedding the trap easy. If you look into them, save your money on the puller that they sell, you can't pull them unless you have very soft soil.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Default RE: Chain length

Those Bridgers are nice traps. I use an 11 inch chain with a spring on the chain. When the chain is stretched it is 14 inches. You do not want a long chain because it gives them more time to speed up and possibly pull the stake.