Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote problems any temp fix?

Old 12-08-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Coyote problems any temp fix?

I am living in northing IL and all of a sudden are Coyote problem has come back. Twice in the last week the Coyote has been coming out. Just tonight about 10 min ago when I was taking Mongo out for the last time all of a sudden as soon as we get out the door he stopped and growled. About 10 yards from the house was the Coyote again. Mongo and I chased it down near the pond were we still had good light from the spot light in the back yard. The only reason we are chasing him is because I do not have a shotgun right now and it will not have my first gun till after christmas, and this Coyote has come very close to a springers who he is larger them. We are worried about them getting attacted by them. Needless to say Mongo hates them with a passion. I have been taking him down in the yard to mark the yard but with winter coming in him and the Coyote are having a teritory thing. Since he is a lot taller then them they are scared of him and run when they see him. Is there any thing that will help keep them away in scents till I get a shotgun in about 3 weeks? I would not have as big of a problem with them if they were not sizing up are springers. Luckly they are coming out in sigels. I know we have a pair and a lone male back in the woods. I just want to get rid of these damn things. I am just happy season is open all year round for these thing though.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyote problems any temp fix?

The coyotes may be coming up in singles, but I can assure you they are not alone. They will try to get the dogs to chase them, and when they get one away from the house, the pack will jump him. I've seen them try it twice on my last dog. While I was out fixing fence, one came out into the field and started barking at him at about 200 yards away. I just held real still, slowly moving to get the .222 out of the truck. My dog thought he was a real tough character, so he took off after him. Darned dog just wouldn't listen. They ran across the field, under the fence, and just out of sight. Then here came my dog hustling back across the field with a couple of coyotes hot on his trail.

So be careful about letting a dog chase a coyote. They may be big enough to handle one, but like my dog found out, coyotes don't fight fair.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM

were ya live id be glad to shoot the lil dogs
Old 12-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

put some poisoned meat balls out, that would be the quickest way to get rid of them.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

A Coyote is a predator and kills for a LIVING and it's survival. One of the favorite foods for the Coyote is domesticated dogs and cats. Do not let your dog chase them as he may think it's play, but the Coyote will know it's dinner. I would not try and poison them as your dog may get into it.
I really don't think you taking your dog in the woods looking for them is such a great idea as your dog may just venture out on his own never to come back. With coyotes in the area I would say you have a little hunting to do.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:30 AM

sounds like you've patterned the coyote, you know he's coming at dusk, you've got the "bait" your springer in a cage, what is a "mongo"?
maybe chain him close to the house or the springer(s) and be ready with tour gun. I bet posting an invite at the local sporting goods store would provide some willing volunteers as well. maybe have them set up in the woods where you think the rest of the pack is waiting; this should be easy to find the morning after.