Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 PM

Default RE: .22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

I never had a problem with my 22 mag on yotes when I lived in missouri.

I have not had the opportunity to shoot one of the larger easterns now that I am back in New York.. I have no reservations about trying it though. The Winchester Supreme hollow points are hard hitters for their size & do adequate damage to thin-walled yotes.

Where in New York are you folks?
Anyone in the rockland/Westchester areas?

Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 08:07 PM

i have seen coyotes cleanly killed with a 22 but the shells were velocitors they are hollow points and have alot more velocity than the others and they are accurate up to 140 yards well thats the farthest i ever shot with a 22 and i hit every time out of 8 shots good luck you can get the shells at wal mart they are $4.00 a box good luck
Old 12-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I do a ton of nigh time calling. I use a 22 or a 22 mag .Even with a good snow on most of the time where i call i never get to see the dog till he is LESS than 100 yards so the 22s do a fine job. On my trap line i use a 22 CB to head shot them and i have fast drops and very little blood. [All though i would not go calling with the CBs] From my point of view it is just like bow hunting some guys want to shoot 80 yard and some never will shoot over 20.

Just know this no matter what you use as long as you make your shoot count, you are A sportsman.

hunt hard good calling
Old 12-31-2004, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Yes I would and I would use a shotgun because with 4 buck, I have several lethal pellets, 3" has 41 I believe, so the odds of hitting the coyote in the boiler room just got much better and the shotgun will flat lay a coyote out, loaded with 3" 4 buck, out to 45 yards on a broadside shot. Coyotes don't stand around much when called, so the chances of a moving target are high, so with a "spray" of lethal pellets, chances are better for a quick kill!
Well the only ammo we can use is #6 or smaller.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:04 PM

A friend of mine uses .22 to shoot the coyotes on his ranch and if been on aa hunt with him and it takes them down but like another person said a shotgun u have a better chance.