Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

ANY ONE WITH COYOTE TROUBLES?

Old 08-08-2002, 09:42 PM

Default RE: ANY ONE WITH COYOTE TROUBLES?

Hi, I'm a new guy to the board, I really agree with coyoteseeker on this one. We have a lot of coyotes in SW Iowa area, but they aren't our primary problem. There are really two problems that we have. Wild dogs and cats. Both very predatious species and from a wildlife management standpoint they really can deplete game species quickly. Just recently we have seen a pack of 15 "domesticated" dogs running around the area. This winter my brother and I killed two coyote/dog crossbreeds that didn't run away from us, they ran towards us. I am planning on setting up a stand and popping some Lassies her pretty darn soon. I just wish they would kill more of the darn cats.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

They are a big problem with livestock out here in the West but the cats and fox are the worst with the game birds.

curt nulle
Old 08-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Spike

Here in Oklahoma, the coyote population is HUGE. A friend of mine has a pack going nuts on his land, it's bothering his animals at night and they're getting closer and closer to his smaller animals near his house. What they're doing is checking the area out. Coyotes are smart and are very cautious. Anyway, I called them last night and they responded. I'm going back out tonight with the 7mm and am hopefully going to get a few. For those interested in predator hunting check out the predator hunting forums at http://www.predatormastersforums.com

Jits

Wages make you a living, but profits make you a fortune.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-03-2002, 06:45 PM

ssure wish they would put a bounty on them here in missouri,they are everywhere.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:16 PM

Here in New Mexico, coyote are common. (But my folks in Maine see them there, too.) Coyote are one of the few animals to actually have expanded their range - which means they are strong, smart and adaptable.

However, I'm not sure that all the claims made of coyotes causing death and destruction are accurate, unless witnessed by someone who can actually ID a coyote. There are also a lot of dogs running around out there, some feral, some pets running loose.

Coyote are much less pack oriented than dogs/wolves (which is why you can't domesticate them). Coyotes running together are usually a family unit and the "pups" haven't taken off on their own yet.

I just picked up a pup out of coyote hunting stock. She comes from a line of greyhound/deerhound cross (with some pittbull and catahoula bred in from time to time). When I picked up my pup in July, her sire and dam had killed over 70 coyotes this year. They do what sighthounds do best, see the prey in the distance, run 'em down and kill 'em! I can't wait for the pup to get old enough to hunt coyote. Right now, she runs with my other dogs and chases them (and the jackrabbits, which seem to have disappeared).

Don't forget that coyote keep the rodent population down. Doubt they catch many birds, I would blame cats for that...