Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to Squirrel Hunting

Old 11-09-2004, 01:05 PM

Default New to Squirrel Hunting

Ran upon this site while looking for squirrel hunting information. Let me start by saying thank you. After reading many of the posts on this site, it helped a lot with idea on what will soon be my first squirrel hunt. I have a few questions, and some of you more veteran hunters may be able to help with.

First, let me start by saying, this will be my first hunt of any kind. Sure, I shot many a bird in my back yard with a .22 and .177 pellet gun....even have a .5 mm pellet gun, but never truly gone hunting.

I've always wanted to hunt, but was never taken, nor do I really know anyone with land, so it will have to be public land for me.

My father passed on about a year ago, so I have taken ownership of a 12 gauge, and a .22 rifle, the later of which I hope to use for squirrel. Starting small....and would like to get into duck and geese later.

Anyway, enough of my story and on with the questions:

I will be hunting in Illinois, so I don't know if anyone will know the local regulations around here.

1) Is camo a necessity for squirrel hunting. I don't have any, but not against getting some...and to what degree? Do I need a bright orange hat?

2) I assume my .22 with long rifle ammo will be enough according to what I've read on here....and my .22 does have a scope..though it needs to be tuned. (I've cleaned it as well.)

3) I'm not familiar with regulations of hunting on public land, so if anyone can help me with that process it's much appreciated. I assume I need to find a hunting site, get there early and sign in and out. I already have a hunting permit, so that's covered.

2) Do I need to check in with local wardens to report the number of squirrel I take?

3) A question on skinning a squirrel: How soon does a squirrel need to be skinned??...can I keep them all then bring them home a skin them if I keep them cold?

4) I've read that the squirrel meat can be ruined if you cut the entrails....does this effectively ruin the whole squirrel...or can you just cut that part off.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hunting....first time at the age of 29. I plan on taking my brother in law (new as well), and I think we'll have a blast...

Appreciate any help I can get on here...Thank you.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:44 PM

Default RE: New to Squirrel Hunting

1) Camo is not a necessity for squirrel, but I wont hurt. I allways wear camo. You don't have to wear an orange hat unless you wont too.

2) A .22 will do fine and so will your 12 ga will 5 or 6 shot. Look to see what kind of choke is in it. And try to shoot them a little bit farther away.

3) Even if it is in the early season and it is warm out the squirrel will be fine till you get home and skin em.

4) Just try not to cut the guts if you do just wash the meat off.

And just remember to be safe!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the message board Boss! I will answer your questions the way I see them.

1) You don't need camo, but I wear it just in case. I also wear gloves along with my facemask which I use for Turkey also.

2) The .22 will work great, especially with high velocity varmint rounds.

3) I try and skin the squirrels as early as possible. They are super easy to skin when they are warm. When they turn cold, it is much harder around the ears and face, much harder than it would have been if it was warm.

4) It really smells when you pull the entrails out of the animal. But then again, so does every other animal!

Good Luck. There should be plenty of people on here from Illinois that can help you out.

Joe
Old 11-09-2004, 04:29 PM

Hey! welcome to hunting net, im pretty new to the website as well but not to tree rat hunting. ive been at it for 2 out of my 14 years of life but if i learned anything from it its that their not as stupid as they look in fact their pretty smart that 22. will work great personaly i dont like shotgun killed squirrels (dont like eaten pellets). here in GA the best way of huntin the critters is just sit at the base of a nut tree and wait for them to come to you and when they do you can just pick them off if your lucky and extremly quiet. hope i helped good luck and happy hunting
Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 PM

I love squirrel hunting and the only time I use orange is during deer season bow or gun as I dont want to get shot. The 22lr is my favorite weapon on squirrel. The problem I have is finding them but once I do I just sit up against a tree and be real quiet and if they dont come out after about 15 min. I take 2 quarters and rub them together between my thumb and forefinger that sound makes em curious and they almost always come out to investigate. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Thank you all for your help. Not sure when the date will be, but more than likely the 27th or 28th of this month....maybe this weekend, but we'll see.

I plan on wearing an orange cap, cause I don't want to get shot in the butt. Skinning my first squirrel should be interesting too, but look forward to it.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

My father passed on about a year ago,
BOSS-2 - I am real sorry to hear about your father.

One thing you can do is get a camoed stool.

Wal-Mart or other stores have them cheap.

Its good to sit on beside a tree and you don't get your tail wet lol.

The one I have has a bag made under the seat you can put stuff in it.

And Good Luck.

jrbsr